• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Best Pentium motherboard for OC (Pentium Mobile rated at 266mhz)

Raven

Veteran Member
Assuming that the chip I bought arrives and is functional or fixable (might have a pin or two broken where the core meets the package), what is the best motherboard for OCing it? It's a mobile chip, and with a huge cooling unit reputedly can get up to around 350mhz with no trouble - what kind of board can handle that, though? Suggestions?

I'd say any super 7 board that can handle the lower voltage and, more importantly, has room for a larger heatsink

I have voltage regulation modules that I pulled from some IBM "Stealth" Aptivas that I don't like (canned the cases/mobos, saved the rest) - they are rated for 2.x voltages, so perhaps one of these + any Socket 7 board would do the trick for getting the chip to run. What I'm really looking for is the capacity to set the multiplier and such high enough to get up to 300-350mhz..

They are multiplier locked, you can only overclock using higher FSB. Thats why I suggested getting a super 7 board.
Perhaps someone knows of some software trick to overclock them? Anyway, I prefer to use the hardware way

They're multiplier locked? About a dozen of my Socket 5 and 7 boards have multiplier jumpers.. Do Pentiums just ignore them?

Very few Pentium chips are multiplier locked, and even the locked ones are more accurately called 'multiplier limited.' I don't know if maybe the mobile chips are different in that regard... I suppose it's possible, but it's the first I'd ever heard of it.

Regardless, though, overclocking by FSB is the way to go on the Socket 7/Super7 platform, because it brings significant benefit to the cache and memory.

I'd recommend an Ali Aladdin V based board, like the Asus P5A. That chipset gives a good balance of performance and stability.

Last edited:
i have done more OCing with AMD using aBit boards mainly cos they had more options with FSB & voltage settings.

Most boards (especially OEM) only give limited FSB & voltage options, so a board with more board settings would be good & one with software settings would make it even easier.

Very few Pentium chips are multiplier locked, and even the locked ones are more accurately called 'multiplier limited.' I don't know if maybe the mobile chips are different in that regard... I suppose it's possible, but it's the first I'd ever heard of it.

only early 166 & 200 MMX pentium were 'multiplier limited'. later production & faster pentiums were multiplier locked :(

There may have been some that were completely locked, but I've never seen one. Sure, some of the later ones wouldn't allow you to raise the multiplier, but I have never heard of one that wouldn't let you lower it.

Back