• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Full height hard drive faceplate for PC/XT 3270 (like XT)

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

I am in need of a faceplate to go in front of the hard drive on my PC/XT 3270. I think it is exactly like the XT. Alternatively, a working hard drive, cables, and controller would do. I've got stuff to trade if my money is no good. Please PM so I'll get an email every time someone replies - I don't sign in to the forums often.

Thanks,
Sean

Gang,

I am in need of a faceplate to go in front of the hard drive on my PC/XT 3270. I think it is exactly like the XT. Alternatively, a working hard drive, cables, and controller would do. I've got stuff to trade if my money is no good. Please PM so I'll get an email every time someone replies - I don't sign in to the forums often.

Thanks,
Sean

I no longer need this item. It turns out that the IBM PC/3270 only has about 450K available to run DOS programs and the one that somebody on the forums (who shall remain nameless) sold me was missing the special cards that allow it to act like a 3270 anyway. Grrrr!

Sean

I no longer need this item. It turns out that the IBM PC/3270 only has about 450K available to run DOS programs and the one that somebody on the forums (who shall remain nameless) sold me was missing the special cards that allow it to act like a 3270 anyway. Grrrr!

Sean

The PC 3270 (5271) didn't act like a 3270, it emulated a 3270 terminal. The reason yours has so little DOS memory available is most likely due to the TSR control program that got loaded at bootup which provided the terminal emulation as well as a number of "notepads" that could be called up via a key combo. If you don't have the "host connect card", you could edit config.sys/autoexec.bat to not load the control program and the machine will essentially be a PC/XT.

There was another machine, XT/370 that actually had a card with a 370 processor on it. Maybe that's what you are referring to?

Last edited:
The PC 3270 (5271) didn't act like a 3270, it emulated a 3270 terminal. The reason yours has so little DOS memory available is most likely due to the TSR control program that got loaded at bootup which provided the terminal emulation as well as a number of "notepads" that could be called up via a key combo. If you don't have the "host connect card", you could edit config.sys/autoexec.bat to not load the control program and the machine will essentially be a PC/XT.

There was another machine, XT/370 that actually had a card with a 370 processor on it. Maybe that's what you are referring to?

No, do you have one to sell? Just kidding. My machine actually gave a hard disk error after it counted it's RAM. I haven't even opened it up yet. The way it was packed, I wouldn't be surprised if the hard drive controller was cracked right above the connector.

I actually read about the 450K available for DOS thing in Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing PCs". But I'll have another go at it, just to be sure.

Thanks,
Sean

Gang,

Thanks,
Sean

Gang,

Sorry to have to use bandwidth like this, but:

"[Name of user how PM'd me about this] has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Could that user please make some room in their private messages so I could get in touch with them?

Thanks,
Sean

Back