• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Got a free iMac!

Tupin

Experienced Member
I was walking into Best Buy today and I noticed a guy taking computers out of his car and putting them on a cart. One of them was an iMac G3/350. I commented that I hadn't seen one of those in years and asked if he was recycling them. He asked if I wanted it and I said sure, so he just let me take it.

I took it home, booted it up, and a question mark greeted me. I just need an install disc, and then I can use my free iMac. :cool:

Mine here runs OS 7.5 perfectly, and iirc it's downloadable from Apple now. Score! I got mine for a dollar at an auction, I was the only one that wanted it.

Cool, that is a nice find :) I'm sure you could trick 10.4 into running on it as well if you use XPostFacto. You would want to max out the ram though :). I had a similar encounter with a person throwing away computers, but with an entirely different outcome. He was going to recycle a laptop, and as I asked him if I could have it, he just got angry and threw the laptop hard into the recycle box just to break it. What a tool.

Weird, I always figured it's better here being used then being sent to China to be scrapped for the gold and the rest burned.

Replaced the hard drive with a larger one and added more RAM. It only had a 2 GB drive in it, I upped it to an 80 GB. I just need my keyboard adapter, and then I will install an OS.

OS9 to see if it needs a firmware update, then to OSX Panther once it's updated. What Internet browser should I use?

I picked up a free iMac once, although I did have to pay for transportation. The screen had a glitch, which resulted in it occasionally not working. An external monitor would always seem to work fine. I had plans to retrofit it in a minitower, but I couldn't find documentation for the weird proprietary ribbon connector they used for combining both the internal IDE drive and the CDROM player to the single IDE controller. If anybody could help me out with that documentation, I could get back working on that little project again.

I've run Tiger on a G3/300, but 10.2 and 10.3 ran better. I've since gone back to 8.5 with this system (tried 9.1 for a while, decided 8.5 was better for this system).

A G3/450 does Tiger very nicely, though.

Under 10.X I use Safari 1.x and Firefox 2.x on my G3s.

Back