• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help identify my IBM PC? Looks like a AT but the case is different

myth

My dad had some IBM's, think they were 5170's if I remember, we had them in 1988 or 89, they were top of the line and ran DOS on them at the time. I was never able to identify them but they look different than most AT's i've seen, they have the LED on the left side like the 5170 but looks like 4 bays instead of 2. Anyone know what model this is?

38119_412156259802_500419802_4356429_5241843_n.jpg

Probably a clone. I remember the AT style chassis, complete with vertical front grille and gray bar containing logo, LEDs, and key, was *VERY* popular, even into the early 486 days.

I don't recognize it specifically, but yes, definitely a clone. In the mid 1980s, the more a clone looked like an IBM, the better, though it was common to steal elements from both the XT and AT, like in this example. You started to see divergence when it helped bring costs down (Leading Edge PCs come to mind), but clones from smaller makers built from off-the-shelf parts retained that AT look for a very long time, like others said. Systems like what's in your picture were still very common in 1988-89. It's anyone's guess what was under the hood; it could have easily been a 386. A 486 would surprise me, just because 486s were CRAZY expensive in 1989.

Most 386s and after no longer shipped with 5.25" as a standard. These could very well be 8086s or 8088s. Especially when the black are hard drives (e.g. MFM).​

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recognize it specifically, but yes, definitely a clone. In the mid 1980s, the more a clone looked like an IBM, the better, though it was common to steal elements from both the XT and AT, like in this example. You started to see divergence when it helped bring costs down (Leading Edge PCs come to mind), but clones from smaller makers built from off-the-shelf parts retained that AT look for a very long time, like others said. Systems like what's in your picture were still very common in 1988-89. It's anyone's guess what was under the hood; it could have easily been a 386. A 486 would surprise me, just because 486s were CRAZY expensive in 1989.

Thanks for the responses, I figured it was some sort of clone as the bay did look different. What does the keyboard resemble? I looked up Model M's and don't recall any having a enter key like that, almost reminds me of a Northgate keyboard. It's possible it had a 486, my father built custom computers and worked a high paying salary job at Abbott Labs back in the day as a network engineer so it wouldn't surprise me, I always assumed it was a IBM 5170 because it was the closest thing I could find it outside appearance. Shame all my computer equipment was thrown away :(

Thanks for the responses, I figured it was some sort of clone as the bay did look different. What does the keyboard resemble? I looked up Model M's and don't recall any having a enter key like that, almost reminds me of a Northgate keyboard.

Definitely not a Model M. I own several Model Ms and use them daily. There are two distinctive things about the keyboard: the arrow key placement, and the extra key off to the far right, above the numeric keypad. Few companies did that. This is just a wild guess, but maybe it's a Keytronic? I haven't seen many 1980s Keytronic keyboards, but those I have seen DID have both of those attributes.

Back