• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Laer discs

Hi,

Im new to this site so here goes..............I have 7 laser discs (below titles)
for sale but there doesnt seem to be much interest on the usual sites i.e e-bay etc. Wondered if anyone had any ideas??????????

My Fair Lady
Saturday Night Fever
Endless Love
Caberet
ABBA
The King and I
The Sound Of Music

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hi,

There are a few folks here who have laser discs but yeah it's a tough market. Maybe someone here knows a video/audio collector forum or site that may get the right audience? I see them on craigslist for various odd prices (usually the players) but I'm not sure how many (if any) actually sell. I have one just for general interest since I missed it when they were current technology but I'm good on discs to sample.

As of I have understood, LaserDisks store in fact analog data (like the VHS). However, unlike the VHS, LaserDisks don't wear out by proper usage. However, some early disks are known to have certain manufacturing flaws that becomes vissible over time.

Here in Europe LaserDisks are extremely uncommon (at least in Norway), but I saw several LaserDisk players/disks when I was in the US some years ago. Once I even saw a PC/AT-cone EGA-based computer with a built-in Laser-disk player. As of I understood, you could use the PC-part to controll the laserdisk player, and the graphics card had to be set up to display EGA instead of LaserDisk-output.

As of I have understood, LaserDisks store in fact analog data (like the VHS). However, unlike the VHS, LaserDisks don't wear out by proper usage. However, some early disks are known to have certain manufacturing flaws that becomes vissible over time.

Yep, analog composite video, though many of 'em had digital audio. Much better video quality than VHS, too... with the good quality player I have, I generally can't see a noticeable difference between LD and DVD, unless I'm specifically comparing 'em side-by-side. Unfortunately, LD also doesn't get along well with newer widescreen LCD TVs, you pretty much need an old 4:3 CRT.

And the term for the flaw is "laser rot." It's basically where the glue holding the layers together starts to oxidize the aluminized layer in the middle, causing little speckles in the picture.

Pioneer and Sony both had LD players that can be controlled through serial port (oddball 15 pin connector) under their "professional" equipment line card some decades ago (I have a couple Pioneer units and a Sony unit.) Pioneer units were targeting "multimedia presentation" while Sony units were often used in video games (Dragon Slayer, Space Ace, to name a few.)

Pioneer and Sony both had LD players that can be controlled through serial port (oddball 15 pin connector) under their "professional" equipment line card some decades ago (I have a couple Pioneer units and a Sony unit.) Pioneer units were targeting "multimedia presentation" while Sony units were often used in video games (Dragon Slayer, Space Ace, to name a few.)
I own two Pioneer players, and one of them has the odd 15-pin serial connector. Both work great and I have Devil's Advocate and Learn to Speak English as my only two sets of disks.

That one with the serial port can play anything even the mini cd style disks!

Hope you find them a home, Dean.

Back