• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: Intel Pentium Overdrive 83MHz PODP5V83

DamienC

Experienced Member
Looking for this old upgrade CPU. Box & docs would be nice, but I'm really just looking for the working part.

Also, I know there are better alternatives (AMD 5x86 133, older Socket 7 CPU's, etc.) but I always liked this one for some reason. Had one years ago in a box that I kept around for DOS games... ended up going to Goodwill for recycling, should have kept it... :(

The POD actually massacres the Am5x86 chips in FPU performance, meaning it ought to run Duke3d and friends better. Otherwise, yeah.

Duke3D (and the build engine) uses integer math, like just about all needs-to-perform-well-though-intense 486 games...

Quake was the engine that started using the FPU big time, before that few DOS games outside of Falcon 3 bothered with the FPU.

I've got a good working 83MHz Overdrive in an old Gateway 2000 tower system - would be happy to pull it and send it to you for $25 plus shipping.

I was hoping to get one cheap here, but then I saw one on eBay that was CIB and sealed for $40 shipped, and I couldn't pass it up.

One of the reasons I want it back is that I remember it running Quake really, really well.

Still regretting getting rid of the old one.... was a great setup: FIC 486-GVT-2 VLB board, VLB ET4000 and a Pentium Overdrive 83. I remember almost keeping that one but deciding at the last minute I needed the space. I had lost my job at the time and was depressed and kind of wanted a change. Of course now that I've had a stable job for a while I want all my nerd crap back. :p

I was looking for them also a couple months ago until I found a website visited by many cpu collectors and I bought a couple off of them.

gerrydoire: The 100Mhz Intel chip that does 4x25Mhz bus? I could use another, what are you interested in trading for?

Back