• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIe to IIGS motherboard

TanruNomad

Veteran Member
Okay, so I posted on here awhile back asking if a iigs board with those extra pinouts was worth more than a regular ROM01 motherboard and you all told me no. I even asked somewhere else and they said the same thing. Even wikipedia says about half of ROM01 boards are setup that way. So because of this I sold about 20 boards with that configuration for $40 each to some guy on ebay. Now the guy I sold them to just sold one of them on ebay for $400+ dollars claiming they are super rare and only 750 were made, which is complete bullsh*t obviously. Just last weekend I picked up 6 more iigses and 2 of them have that same configuration. Should I do anything, like contact ebay and say he's lying or do I just learn my lesson and pity people that fall for his scheme?

Did he sell it to a friend (basically himself) so as to drive the price up? hehe Anyway, I don't think there's much you can do. It would be nice to warn people, but in the end it is their decision to pay whatever they want.

If you're referencing the auction by mcpricebreaker, I was shocked at the claims made & even more shocked that two of the 3 bids were as high as they were. Apple did offer an upgrade from the IIe to a IIGS motherboard which came with a different chassis. I believe, but would not stake a kidney on it yet, that the motherboard mounting holes are in different locations, but after that, I don't know of any differences in the motherboard themselves. Unless there are some other differences in the motherboards, I don't know how else you would tell. Also, I think, but again I would not stake a kidney on it, that the IIe to IIGS upgrades used the ROM0 motherboard, but someone needs to check that & correct me if I'm wrong.

If you sold these boards to mcpricebreaker and can certify that his claims on eBay are false, I would definitely contact eBay's Security & Fraud department & register the complaint.

If you're referencing the auction by mcpricebreaker, I was shocked at the claims made & even more shocked that two of the 3 bids were as high as they were. Apple did offer an upgrade from the IIe to a IIGS motherboard which came with a different chassis. I believe, but would not stake a kidney on it yet, that the motherboard mounting holes are in different locations, but after that, I don't know of any differences in the motherboard themselves. Unless there are some other differences in the motherboards, I don't know how else you would tell. Also, I think, but again I would not stake a kidney on it, that the IIe to IIGS upgrades used the ROM0 motherboard, but someone needs to check that & correct me if I'm wrong.

If you sold these boards to mcpricebreaker and can certify that his claims on eBay are false, I would definitely contact eBay's Security & Fraud department & register the complaint.

Yes, I am talking about mcpricebreaker. The guy is pretty bold to lie like that, but I've actually spoke with him on the phone before and he seems pretty genuine so maybe he is just misinformed. I sent him an email educating him on his mistake and pretty much warning him not to do it again. He hasn't responded.

I pride myself on my knowledge of the IIGS, it was the first computer I ever owned and know quite a lot about its history. The boards I sold him (with the iie pinouts) are very common. Like I said, about 45-50% of all boards created from 86-88 have them. If he tries it again I will report him to ebay, but I don't know what good that will do. Don't investigations take several months? By that time he will have already sold them all off.

I have never spoken with him, but other than this one auction, he seems pretty honest & above-board, so I agree with you, maybe he was misinformed. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an honest mistake until I have proof otherwise, so let's hope he was misinformed and that your note to him set him straight.

I have no idea where he got some of those statements in the auction, but I just checked and he put another one of those boards up on eBay and its listed simply as a IIGS motherboard. I downloaded the picture he used with the auction in question as well as his new auction, and they seem to be identical motherboards save for the color of a few components on the board. But I see absolutely no difference between them. I hope he goes to the buyer who shelled out $400+ and gives him the right story and allows the buyer to back out of the deal.

I have never spoken with him, but other than this one auction, he seems pretty honest & above-board, so I agree with you, maybe he was misinformed. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an honest mistake until I have proof otherwise, so let's hope he was misinformed and that your note to him set him straight.

I have no idea where he got some of those statements in the auction, but I just checked and he put another one of those boards up on eBay and its listed simply as a IIGS motherboard. I downloaded the picture he used with the auction in question as well as his new auction, and they seem to be identical motherboards save for the color of a few components on the board. But I see absolutely no difference between them. I hope he goes to the buyer who shelled out $400+ and gives him the right story and allows the buyer to back out of the deal.

You'll have to show me where that's at. All I see from him is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-IIGS-LMB-...270?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e3122b0e

which is a ROM01 board without the IIe pinouts.

Yes, you're right. I trashed the photos last night so I don't have the ones I downloaded to share with you... but I wasn't concerned so much with the pinouts present/absent as I was with the fact that both were ROM01 boards and he's now not laying on that story about these boards being something unique (and thus worth far more). Hopefullly you're email to him set him straight & it was simply an unintentional error on his part.

I see he's back to the original ad & making those claims again. I have no idea where he got this information, but he states that it's from Apple Corp. sources.

Sent him an email telling him that I believe his information is incorrect - that the IIe to IIGS KITS were in limited number (no idea if it was 750 or not) but that the ROM01 motherboard that he's selling are plentiful - dime a dozen (or almost so). (The KITS had the metal chassis with the motherboard.) He's only listing it as a 5 day auction, so the auciton will be over and done with by the time eBay MIGHT get around to investigating.

Another sad side effect of this: another seller is now hawking his ROM01 motherboard using a verbatim quote of mcpricebreakers' ad in his auction ad - eBay auction #150496867255.

Don't know if you know this or not, but eBay will not take a telephone call re fraud - you can ONLY report it to them online and only have the 140 characters to make your case. In other words, eBay really does not want to get involved in fraud since they loose money whenver they bounce an auction/seller. (One of the reasons I am moving as much of my business over to blujay and bonanzle as I can.)

Last edited:
Back