• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboard

NobodyIsHere

Veteran Member
Hi! If this request is too new or off topic for the "items wanted" forum please delete.

I recently received a broken socket AM2 (AMD 64 x2, 4600+) computer in pieces. It appears the MB is dead. There was one bad cap which I replaced but still it won't boot or POST at all with new RAM, different video boards, etc. No response using a PCI POST card either -- its completely dead AFAIK. All the CPU voltages seem to checkout so I suspect the Northbridge/Southbridge chip is bad. Of course the CPU may be dead as it is hard to tell exactly but I suspect the MB.

If anyone here has excess an AM2 type MB they can sell please let me know. I'd rather spend the $$$ with people here than on eBay if possible.

Again, I recognize this is probably too new so mods please delete if this is "over the line".

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

There's an off-topic marketplace for stuff that's over that line. One of the mods will probably move it there.

Thanks! I never noticed that before! Mods, please move thread.

Andrew Lynch

Hi! Just basic socket AM2/AM2+/AM3. A PCI-e slot for the video card would be nice and one of the little ones too. A couple of regular PCI slots would be handy. A couple of DDR2 sockets. The usual complement of IO like serial, parallel, keyboard, mouse, etc. Nothing fancy just basic stuff. On board video is OK but not necessary. Once the computer is assembled and working it is going to be another Linux box running trace routing jobs for N8VEM boards. I'll set it up in the basement. I don't have big ambitions for this computer. It was dumped in pieces on my desk at work so I am trying to salvage something useful out of it.

Andrew Lynch

I have a micro ATX board with an AM2 socket, two PCI, one x16, and one x1. Has onboard video but will only take 2 gigs of DDR2.

I know it has ethernet, keyboard, mouse, and USB ports on the back. I'm not certain about serial and parallel ports but if you're interested I'll dig it out for you and take pics.

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks! Yes, I've looked at NewEgg comparing prices etc. It would be easy enough to buy a new board there or eBay at reasonable prices. However I would prefer to support the community here first everything else being equal.

Andrew Lynch

Back