• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II haul

arjoll

Experienced Member
Hi everyone - its been a long, long time since I've posted here, but my patience has paid off and last week I picked up some Apple IIe and IIc hardware! Thanks to Tezza for the lead - it was about 7 hours' drive from here, but at least on the same island!

• Apple IIe PAL with printer card, Ramworks upgrade, CP/M card (I think - it has a Z80 CPU), Disk II controller
  • Apple IIe Enhanced international NTSC with printer card, 80 column card, disk controller with D connector, and another unidentified card (possibly another printer controller?)
  • Monitor ///
  • Generic green composite monitor
  • Disk II, clone floppy with Disk II connector, two Unidrives
  • Apple IIc with Monitor IIc, stand, modulator, power supply, serial cable and "super cable" (whatever that is - still need to investigate)
The IIc appears to be fine - some flicker in the monitor but I think that might be the cable. If not I deal a lot with a local electronic service company who seem quite happy to look at weird old stuff I bring in!

All the equipment has been stored since the early 90's in a garage - the owner found them while cleaning up after the Christchurch earthquake. The drives were in a box with a 1993 mailer from The Warehouse so that helps quantify the length of disuse!

With the IIe's I decided that because the computers and power supply were easy to dismantle, and had been potentially not powered up for longer, I would completely dismantle and clean them up.

The IIe Enhanced is in bad shape. I found lots of crud etc on the component side of the system board, and lots of corrosion on the bottom of the case. The bottom of the system board was clean, as was the keyboard.

Opening the power supply I found what appeared to be the source - the whole thing was covered in foul smelling goo, and although there was no obvious bulding of the electros the mains filter cap (0.1uF X2) had blown up - something I kind of expected after the experience with my Sord M23's. I'm going to assume that the source of the corrosion in the case was the leakage of cap electrolyte out of the PSU onto the case - I could be wrong, it may be storage, but the rest of the gear is fine.

My gut feel is that the PSU may be a write-off - this goo is everywhere including on all the wound components (inductors and transformers). I will take it in to get looked at, but may have to use an external PC supply for a while.

The other system (straight IIe) looks fine - a bit of dust and a little grime, but the insides of the PSU are pristine (which was quite a relief!). Quite a different case, it has the older velcro-like fittings, screws in different places etc.

I have noted the part numbers from the power supply, sytem board and whole unit - I'd be interested in what info is around on these, and if this model of power supply is known for problems.

Apple IIe PAL (relatively good condition):
* System A2S2064P s/n 148845, assembled in Ireland
* Appears to be from mid-1983
* PSU A2M0030
* System board 820-0073-B, B-607-0264

Apple IIe Enhanced Int'l NTSC (marginal condition):
* System A2S2064X s/n E640045, assembled in Singapore
* Appears to be from mid-1986
* PSU 828-0510-A
* System board 820-0188-C, B-607-0288-C

I'll post some photos of the systems and card separately.

Here's the Apple IIe Enhanced. At the moment I think the plan will be to clean and test the motherboard, use a wirebrush and rust converter on the case and then prime it (the bottom looks fine, its only surface rust by the look of it) and then potentially just run it with a PC supply for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2
This is the original IIe - its in far better condition than the Enhanced.

Attachments

• IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 2
Here are some cards - the Z80 card from each, which I'm going to assume is a coprocessor card for CP/M and the printer card from each.

Attachments

• printer-card-enhanced.jpg
    printer-card-enhanced.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2
  • z80-card.jpg
    z80-card.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 2
  • z80-card-enhanced.jpg
    z80-card-enhanced.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2
  • printer-card.jpg
    printer-card.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2
More cards

More cards

Next batch :) The 80 column card (I'm assuming not extended) from the IIe Enhanced, the Ramworks card (two views) from the standard IIe and the two disk controllers - one with D connector for the Unidrives out of the enhanced and a Disk II controller from the IIe.

Attachments

• disk-card-enhanced.jpg
    disk-card-enhanced.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2
  • ramworks-card-top.JPG
    ramworks-card-top.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2
  • disk-card.jpg
    disk-card.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ramworks-card.jpg
    ramworks-card.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 80col-card-enhanced.jpg
    80col-card-enhanced.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2
Ok, last lot of photos (for the moment!).

This is an unidentified card from the IIe Enhanced - it has a 20 pin header, so maybe a disk controller? This system already had two Unidrives on it though, so I'm not sure. There were only four drives in total in the 'haul' - the clone was "Drive 1", the Disk II marked "Drive 2" so I assume they were used with the IIe and Disk II card. The other two were Unidrives so used with this system. No line drivers (1488/1489) so its not serial.

The card has markings "APL-B" and "SP-201-EP-0", and the chip complement:
  • 2x 7407 hex buffers
  • 74LS373 octal 3 state latch
  • 74LS251 3 state 1 of 8 data selector
  • 74LS133 13 input NAND
  • 74LS10 triple 3 input NAND
  • 74LS00 quad 2 input NAND
  • 74LS14 hex inverting schmitt trigger
  • 74LS74 dual D flip-flips
  • 74LS08 quad 2 input AND
  • 2716 EPROM

There was also a Sup-R-Mod-II in the Apple IIe PAL. Seems strange from that era, as most NZ TVs did not have UHF in 1983 so I'd expect to see a VHF modulator switchable betweem NZ channels 2 and 3 or maybe an Australian channel 0/1 modulator, not a UHF one.

Attachments

• unknown-card-enhanced.jpg
    unknown-card-enhanced.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 2
  • sup-r-mod.jpg
    sup-r-mod.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2
The cards with the Z80s are definitely CP/M cards -- I've got one almost identical to the second one pictured. They're direct copies of the Microsoft CP/M card, and work with the same software/drivers.

Hi Aj,

Good to see pics of the haul up here. I'm sure the IIe enhanced will clean up fine. At least your's hadn't been a home for generations of mice! (the furry mammal-types)

yes, I think that unknown card is for a printer. I have one just like it.

Tez

It uses the PAL version of the video circuitry for use with European (and other countries, like New Zealand) monitors. Countries like the US use NTSC.

Ok, a quick update on this.

Rusty Apple IIe case has been sorted - rust converter and primer. The power supply from this unit is (apparently) toasted - the mains filter cap has let go, the general consensus given the state of the internals was that it wasn't sudden, but has been 'fizzing' for quite some time, filling the guts of the PSU with smoke which had ended up coating everything in goo. I have run the board through the dishwasher to get it at least slightly clean, then will disconnect the power switch and put it back to fill the hole. I may run it up on a lamp limiter at some point, but am more likely to just run this one on a ATX supply.

The other Apple IIe PSU is just waiting for me to drill out the rivets holding the IEC connector so I can see the value of the mains filter cap, which I'll replace before it sees 230V. Generally I'd do this as a matter of course (if I can get to it) after an experience with an exploding 0.1uF in a Sord M23.

It seems the Apple IIc is in pretty good condition. I'm not getting a particularly big image on that wee monitor, but it may just be the way things are. I'll get it checked over anyway, it seems a little unstable at times.

One question - I don't appear to have a working Caps Lock on the IIc. Is the switch supposed to latch down, or is it a momentary one like a PC? This one doesn't latch, and it doesn't appear to toggle caps lock on and off, so I suspect it may be faulty. Any hints on disassembly/repair?

Finally, with a working IIc and finally getting ADTPro running (it refuses to do serial on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit laptop, so I'm running it in and "XP Mode" VM) I have started imaging disks onto the PC. It looks like most of the remaining Apple II disks I had from school in the 80's are either corrupt or (more likely) reformatted for PC :( I can read my old Lode Runner Levels disk though, so must be time to find an image of the program and relive how bad my custom levels really were!

Good to hear the update Andrew,

Just take care loading in those old disks. If they are degraded at all they can leave gunk on the heads which not only means disks can't be read, but they can also be scratched.

Tez

Back