• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sierra Games

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
I'm looking for any of the original Space Quest 1-3 or Kings Quest 1-4 games that are
still sealed in the box for the Tandy/IBM PC.

Contact me if you have any of these for sale.

:)

Good luck with that! I can count on one hand the number of non-slash NIB copies of these games that I've seen around the web in the last 2-3 years. Slash versions are relatively easy to find, but if you're looking for the official releases... man, good luck with that :)

I'm curious though... what's the allure of NIB vintage software for you? Obviously you will pay a premium for such software - do you just want to be the first to open it up, or do you like the idea of sealed games sitting on a shelf?

I don't mean my question to be insulting at all, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the allure of software that you never plan to touch and hold in your hands (I have much the same problem with CGC-graded comic books). That's not to say that I don't keep some sealed games/comics around for their value, but I've always got to have what I term my "reading copy" as well :) Take care!

That's an answer I can understand :) It's the same reason that I ocassionally will pick up a new copy of a beloved game - just to have the thrill of being the first to rip it open! - I just have a hard time understanding where/why some collectors will want all sealed copies, and will never open/use them - Was looking to try and understand it from the perspective of someone who collects in that way.

From a collectors point of view, virgin new, means maximum value for what they are collecting?

Well some stuff you can get so easily or already might have copies of around and you might have a spare shrinkwrapped copy, so why open that one too? I.e., I have like six different versions of Win3x, and two are shrinkwrapped 3.0 3.5" floppy versions. I almost always use 3.11 for Workgroups, so why open those? Yes it would be cool, but someone who will use them could open them in another few decades and have an even greater thrill from it. Not only that, but I feel it's best to capture opening vintage software/hardware on camera to preserve the process and feel of it since there's only so many copies/parts around that are unopened from days long past.

I find leaving things sealed and never using them pointless. You won't live forever, so may as well enjoy it as much as you can.

I find leaving things sealed and never using them pointless. You won't live forever, so may as well enjoy it as much as you can.
Word. Nothing angers me quite like the kind of people that hoard comic books or game systems or what-have-you that someone else might actually get some enjoyment out of, just so that they can say that they have a Mint Condition item that has Never Been Opened. Grargh.

Word. Nothing angers me quite like the kind of people that hoard comic books or game systems or what-have-you that someone else might actually get some enjoyment out of, just so that they can say that they have a Mint Condition item that has Never Been Opened. Grargh.

It was great buying my IBM L40 trackpoint (sealed since 1992) and opening it in 2010 to enjoy it.

A surplus company had them; I guess they sat around for 18 years in some warehouse until finally being found to sell for $5 a piece (plus a stupid $15 shipping pricetag).

ibm_trackpoint.jpg

It works very well, as a trackball or a mouse. It might not seem that ergonomic, but it fits the hand quite nicely. Much better than the original PS/2 mice. which aren't curved like the L40 trackpoint.

Although I could see why someone would want a trackball new and sealed: so the rollers aren't filled with gunk. But if I were to buy it and put it on a shelf never to be used, that would be stupid. Most computer stuff is worthless unless you can find a crazed collector for them.

All I got is volume one and two of "King's Quest Collection." One came in a purple box. They aren't for sale. Google 'em. The compilation is meant for modern computers to run. :D

New stuff is out there, just hard to find.

I bought a lot of around 50qty boxed software separated into two different auctions from a guy. All in all, about $120 shipped - not too bad.

Among them was a new/shrinkwrapped Phantasmagoria, Inca, Incredible Machine, King's Quest V, and (SCORE!) 1987 original/minty Mixed Up Mother Goose. Not to mention several other titles that would separately run about $30 each to purchase before shipping (all of which I was missing from my collection).

Was a nice find... Also scored a few other shrinkwrapped copies of games like Gabriel Knight Mysteries (consisting of games 1/2), Police Quest: 4 Most Wanted (not including SWAT - hard to find), LSL6, KQ6, Thexder, and another KQ5 copy (different box).

I have my opened ones... a few of the shrinkwrapped copies I might keep.. Others, I'll let loose of for the right trade; I'm still missing a half-dozen of the regular Sierra games before I finish delving into the boxed/complete collections (currently just missing the two QFG collections as boxed/complete copies, and the 15th Anniv SQ Collection)

Oil's Well... quick fun. A girl in HS gave me a retail copy as a thank you for making some backups for her. SQ4 was the first game I actually bought, and the Collection... Well, Space Quest is the series that got me hooked on Sierra to begin with - I think that they're great games! Good puzzles, great writing/plots/humour, and just fun.

FWIW, there are fan-created updates to the more recent Quest Collections from 2007/2008 available at www.sierrahelp.com - they're rather hidden in the Game Patches/Updates. Basically, they update the DOSBox version that shipped with these games to the newest version without damaging your current installs. Personally, I haven't tested them, but have seen on boards where many others have used them without problems.

Back