• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

For the Laughs and tears.... 5.25" drive is thought to be a cd-rom

The first time I saw a caddy CD drive I went "wow, something that takes this shoddy optical garbage and makes it almost as durable as a (3.5") floppy! too bad disks don't come in these by default, and there isn't a DVD drive that takes them.."

The DVD-RAM format was similar to this, and you could remove the disk for use in a non-caddy-loading system.

remembers the cd caddy system my elementry school had every computer with one and all the cd's in the cases it worked pritty good remember first time i saw one i had already been using normal cd's and went to take the disk outa the case and couldn't figure out how to get the try to open lol i wound up going to the lybrarian to ask what was up and get heck for taking it outa the case i was about 6 or 7 at the time within a year of that the school had a full computerlab aww origon trail how i wasted so many hrs on thee and kidworks 2

not to mention there are more recent formats like Zip disks that many people won't recognize and one rarely sees. When Ball State first had them in their Gateway PC's including the Solaris lab (on Gateway's..) it was great because I used to bring home NetBSD ports and FreeBSD home that way. Before then I would bring a few dozen 3.5" disks into the lab! (but first I would remote into one of lab boxes from home, signin and download what I wanted to a temp area...)
Also saving files on cassettes will be an alien concept to a lot of people.

The first CD-ROM I used was this one, in the university library around 1990.
It was strategically placed on the desk of the library's query officer, and to get THE DISC you had to have a signed form and sign two more- and of course he sat next to you.

http://www.marantzphilips.nl/index.asp?strPage=Info&strBrand=Philips&strType=cm100

Wow, what an old clunker. :)

I had a 5.25" 1x caddy load CDrom that interfaced with my sbpro from around that time, maybe 1991. Still got the drive too, yea it works.

A few years ago, an end user from our one and only end user direct sales account, sent in thier machine because the mini-cd didn't work. What they were really talking about was the floppy drive. I removed a small CD (I know they have a name, the half-sized cd-rom discs...) from the floppy drive... I also removed a US Nickel and a sunflower seed.... oiy.

Some kid stuck a kiddy play credit card into an IBM PS/2 floppy drive using it like an ATM. I found the card in the drive when I got it home from a recycler, boy was it jammed in there good.

CDROM drives used to be known as coffee holders when they first came out with tray loading drives.

A caddy-loading CD drive would be just as foreign to today's young eyes.

Apple-CDdrive-300.jpg

Also there are some early CD-ROM drives where the entire drive slides out when you push eject, instead of just the loading tray.

My first CD-Rom was a SCSI Toshiba 4x and it used a caddy system. Man, I thought it was the "bees knees" w/ its 4x speed. Remember when technology actually was up to date for a few month before you had to upgrade? Now, its outdated before it arrives to your house in the mail!

A few years ago, an end user from our one and only end user direct sales account, sent in thier machine because the mini-cd didn't work. What they were really talking about was the floppy drive. I removed a small CD (I know they have a name, the half-sized cd-rom discs...) from the floppy drive... I also removed a US Nickel and a sunflower seed.... oiy.

I think I might have figured out why you only have *one* end user sales account ;)

Back