• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intel Inboard 386

gerrydoire

Veteran Member
I have an IBM 5150 B Model

Full memory on board

I recently bought a Intel 386.

After doing all the instructions the manual has layed out, I get a Parity 2 Message
when I boot the computer.

Suggestions on what might help me here?

Thanks!

:)

"Parity 2" indicates a RAM parity problem not on the motherboard. The POST only knows what RAM is where (on motherboard / off motherboard) by the setting of the RAM related switches in switch banks 1 and 2.

There may have been a 201 type error on the screen momentarily before the "Parity 2" appeared.

Maybe you have faulty RAM on your Inboard 386.
Maybe the Inboard 386 is not providing as much RAM as you think it is.

Presumably, you are intending for the Inboard 386 to provide RAM between 256K and 640K. Is that the case?

What are your settings for motherboard switch banks 1 and 2 ?

Do you see a 201 error? If so, what is the bit after the "201"?

What follows is from the documentation for the Inboard 386/PC:

Code:
PARITY CHECK 2 ERROR 

The most common cause for this error is a result of himem.sys loading before the InBoard driver. (This the default
in DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.0 installations.) To correct the problem, boot the system to a plain DOS boot disk
and relocate the himem.sys command line after the INBRDPC.SYS command line.

It is also possible to get a Parity Check 2 if the INBRDPC.SYS driver isn't being loaded into the Config.sys file.

One Customer with a COMPAQ PORTABLE Plus and ATI Wonder Card received a Parity check 2 message on
warm boot. Turning SW8 off on the ATI board solved the problem.

The parity 2 messege comes up instantly, I don't see any other message.

Is it possible this 386 card won't work with a 8-bit VGA Card?

The parity 2 messege comes up instantly, I don't see any other message.
Okay. What about the two other questions I asked?

Is it possible this 386 card won't work with a 8-bit VGA Card?
Well, it is quite possible that it can't coexist with a particular VGA card. I can't locate my old notes just now, but I seem to remember that the Sysgen Omnibridge card won't coexist with one of the Intel accelerator cards. There are many card combinations that don't work well or don't work at all.

Back