• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS logbook software (for amateur radio)

carangil

Experienced Member
I'm recently into amateur radio, and its general practice to keep a logbook of your contacts. Many use logbook software on their PC. Wanting to bridge two hobbies together... does anyone know of any good DOS logbook software. It doesn't have to be amateur radio per se; anything that can keep dated notes, and maybe organize/search entries by keyword, etc would be great. I'm looking for something that can run on a HPLX, which for those who don't know, is a 'pocket size' DOS machine with 1mb of ram and 80 column text mode / CGA graphics display. It's processor is a 186 (or 188?), which is on par with a fast XT or a slow 286. No mouse!

does anyone know of any good DOS logbook software.
I tried looking for some a while ago and generally found that developers had pulled the DOS versions off their websites,
either because they didn't want to support DOS anymore, or to get people to upgrade.
I was able to download one DOS program but it turned out to be for contesting -- not something you'd want to use day-to-day.

Having said that, I use a simple spreadsheet for my log,
which means I can keep a copy up on Google docs,
both as a backup and in case I want to access it remotely.

Another program I use (I'm a Linux user) is Xlog.
When I'm doing digital modes, I use Fldigi which has logging built-in.
Fortunately, Fldigi can export log data in a variety of formats, including ADIF and Cabrillo.

Good luck,
Andy

Using a spreadsheet sounds like a good idea. The HPLX has 123 built in, so I guess if any modern spreadsheets can read it I'd be all set. if not, there's always tab delimited formats!

I could also use my netbook with modern software... but old stuff adds to the fun!

Using a spreadsheet sounds like a good idea.
My spreadsheet is just a tweaked version of my old paper log.
It has the following columns:
Date, Time, Freq, Mode, Station, RST out, RST in, Time off, Notes (QTH, Op, QSL via, etc.), QSL sent, QSL rec'd
Some columns are under-used, so adjust to suit your needs.

Back