• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Free or For Sale Cheap! A Whole Lot of PC/Mac/Sun/SGI stuff in Madison, Alabama

Samir

Experienced Member
I ran into a guy locally that has two 18-wheeler trailers and three storage spaces of computer stuff that he wants to dump by spring. He's throwing away high-end 17" CRT monitors like the Sony Trinitron FD by the van load, and has a ton of stuff that he just wants to get rid of.

I got some stuff from him for free, and told him I'd try to help some of this stuff from hitting the scrap heap because he's pretty set on just throwing everything away. :huh:

Some of the stuff I saw were: an Amiga, several Macs like a IIc and other power-pc powered Macs, a stack of Sun workstations, an SGI workstation, an Indigo, a HUGE DEC something the size of a refrigerator (model number available), several Compaq Pentium and PPro rackmount servers with SCSI raids, a STACK of external SCSI drives sized from 150mb to 500mb, an Apple external 5.25" drive, an Apple 21" monitor (he trashed one of these today), several token ring cards for what looked like (maybe older) HP laser printers, and much more.

If anything on this list interests you, post here and I'll start getting pictures of what you're interested in and posting them here. If he gets $10-$20 for something + shipping at UPS daily rates (around $10 for smaller stuff), he'll let me ship it out. Otherwise, it's hitting a landfill. :( It has to be worth the time for him to come down to the storage place, help pack this stuff and ship it out, or it's better to just trash it. If you're near or willing to come to Madison, Alabama, you can just check everything out for yourself.

I am EXTREMELY busy for the next few weeks, so if you don't hear from me, call me at 615-512-5520 so I'll jump back in this thread.

An itemized list would really help. I ran into a similar situation late 2010 but in the end 99% was Pentium II and Pentium III material so not really worthwhile. Thanks. :)

Having a list like that might be impractical for everything inside a trailer that size. Maybe a few pieces at a time that you can get to, little by little?

Wow, you guys even jumped on this faster than I thought! :)

I'm interested in the amiga. What kind of amiga is it?
(I'm in Chattanooga.)
I can ask the guy to get info on it. More than likely he's going to get on here soon as I've told him about the place. Then you guys can just ask him directly. :)
An itemized list would really help. I ran into a similar situation late 2010 but in the end 99% was Pentium II and Pentium III material so not really worthwhile. Thanks. :)
I know we saw a complete Gateway p5-133 because that was the model number on the front, lol. I know he's got a lot of older Compaq Proliant servers that were Pentium or PPros. He had a Digital that was dual Pentium Pro and some other systems that were dual and even quad processor PPro. Itemizing it will probably happen based on demand.
Having a list like that might be impractical for everything inside a trailer that size. Maybe a few pieces at a time that you can get to, little by little?
That's where it will start. As things get cleared out, there will be more room for inventorying.

Model numbers for the Quad pentium pro and dual pentium pro systems would make life easier (also some clue about weight). I might be interested in one depending what shipping costs are.

Ditto on the proliant servers for me as well.... I am looking to pickup one ofthose bad boys for while now....

Depending on how old the system are I'd be interested in an IBM 7531, as well as any EISA video cards.

I've never had an Amiga before, or a C128 if there's any of those. I'm interested in any keyboard or all-in-one form factor computers, upgrade processors (486 socket 1->586, 386->486, etc.), c64 carts, EGA/CGA monitors... I'm also looking for an XT-286, 5161, 5150, etc.. but can't afford things like that ATM - too much shipping if free, and unlikely to be free in the first place.

Let me know..

Last edited:
Model numbers for the Quad pentium pro and dual pentium pro systems would make life easier (also some clue about weight). I might be interested in one depending what shipping costs are.
They're HEAVY. I couldn't see any model numbers on them, but after some quick searches on Google images they look like Proliant 3000, 5500, and possibly 7000. But I know none of these will be free as they're worth something.
I too would be interested in any amigas... Maybe you can do a quick count of the different models...
There's only one Amiga, and I talked to him earlier today to see if he can take some pictures and post it here.
Wow... a haul near me for once! I'd like to get my hands on an old B&W Mac and/or maybe an Amiga.
I don't think he'll have any Mac stuff that old as he threw out about 500 (!) mini Macs a few years ago. :( But I did find a 5.25" external Apple drive, so who knows. There's only one Amiga so far, and hopefully he'll get info on it online soon. If not, I may meet up with him on Sunday and take some pics.
Ditto on the proliant servers for me as well.... I am looking to pickup one ofthose bad boys for while now....

Depending on how old the system are I'd be interested in an IBM 7531, as well as any EISA video cards.
Cool. Makes two interested parties on the Proliants. I didn't see any IBM brand stuff. If one of the servers happened to have an EISA video card, that would be the only possibility, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.
I've never had an Amiga before, or a C128 if there's any of those. I'm interested in any keyboard or all-in-one form factor computers, upgrade processors (486 socket 1->586, 386->486, etc.), c64 carts, EGA/CGA monitors... I'm also looking for an XT-286, 5161, 5150, etc.. but can't afford things like that ATM - too much shipping if free, and unlikely to be free in the first place.
Most of that probably was never even in his 'collection', but we still haven't even started looking at the trailers yet.

He had a guy call today that's going to pick up all the monitors he can get. :) It's good to know that equipment avoided the scrap heap.

Everybody thinks old servers are worth money for some reason (even the local recycler that ended up scrapping a couple dozen when nobody wanted them).

Anyway a Compaq Proliant 5500/7000 is a XEON P2 (don't want that), while the 3000 is a general P2 (no interest). I was interested in older Pentium Pro models.

Sounds like this stuff is newer then you think.

Everybody thinks old servers are worth money for some reason (even the local recycler that ended up scrapping a couple dozen when nobody wanted them).

Anyway a Compaq Proliant 5500/7000 is a XEON P2 (don't want that), while the 3000 is a general P2 (no interest). I was interested in older Pentium Pro models.

Sounds like this stuff is newer then you think.
I dunno. I did see the old "Pentium" stickers on the corner of the systems. Not Pentium Pro, not Pentium II or III--Pentium. Unless they didn't have a specific sticker for the Xeon.

I'd love to pick up some of that Sun stuff, but, shipping anything bigger than a couple of sticks of RAM out of the US and into Canada has gotten so expensive that it's always a deal-breaker.

USPS used to have some cheap shipping to Canada, but they dropped them a while back to, I suppose, increase profits. Shipping via UPS is exponentially worse and you get hit 35 - 50 bucks by their brokerage house just to tell you there's no duty payable. Quite the racket.

...or the 7U rack models which you might have. I have the original software kit for the PPro Compaq servers which is one reason I wanted to know about the Compaqs.
Got a picture of the rack mounts? If they look similar to the pictures I found of the 3000/5500/7000, then that's them. :)

I'd love to pick up some of that Sun stuff, but, shipping anything bigger than a couple of sticks of RAM out of the US and into Canada has gotten so expensive that it's always a deal-breaker.

USPS used to have some cheap shipping to Canada, but they dropped them a while back to, I suppose, increase profits. Shipping via UPS is exponentially worse and you get hit 35 - 50 bucks by their brokerage house just to tell you there's no duty payable. Quite the racket.
It might be worth the drive down. I remember seeing at least two stacks of cpus over 3ft high.

If this guy is serious about unloading this stuff and he has a way to transport it, he should get a table or two at a computer show here in the northeast. We used to call them "junk guys", they were the go-to people at the computer shows that had pallets of old cool stuff (usually off lease business machines) and they always seemed to make a profit. We used to get the KGP 5-show passes to get into the Edison show an hour early to get a crack at the stuff before anyone else. The guys that knew us used to let us behind the counter and browse the pallets directly too.

Anything that didn't go by the end of the weekend was cleared out at fire sale prices at the end of the weekend. Its cheaper to get rid of it for less then to lug it back home.

If that gets done I'd have to go... heh - the only reason I'm not all over this is because Alabama is very far away from Delaware. :p

If this guy is serious about unloading this stuff and he has a way to transport it, he should get a table or two at a computer show here in the northeast. We used to call them "junk guys", they were the go-to people at the computer shows that had pallets of old cool stuff (usually off lease business machines) and they always seemed to make a profit. We used to get the KGP 5-show passes to get into the Edison show an hour early to get a crack at the stuff before anyone else. The guys that knew us used to let us behind the counter and browse the pallets directly too.

Anything that didn't go by the end of the weekend was cleared out at fire sale prices at the end of the weekend. Its cheaper to get rid of it for less then to lug it back home.
If that gets done I'd have to go... heh - the only reason I'm not all over this is because Alabama is very far away from Delaware. :p
He's actually 'been there, done that', but the stuff that's leftover now isn't high margin stuff so the logistics and other expenses don't make it worth the effort. That's why he's just trying to get rid of it. Holding costs of just storing it aren't cheap!

Back