• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Keyboard layout

I wonder if there are 8000 series machines with the graphics keyboard?
I haven't seen any, but there are FAT40s out there that have been converted to 80 columns.
This whole tread made me realize one could take a PET with graphics keyboard and swap the numbers with the symbols on the QWERTY row. It wouldn't become a true business keyboard, but slightly easier to type on if you're used to numbers on the upper row. Maybe I take one of my spare PET keyboards and try this process with my remaining non-CRTC "4032". Perhaps if I ever get tired of it, I could claim it being a prototype/custom unit and sell it for twice the market value. :lol:
You could use a 2532 with both versions and kludge a switch between A11 and GND to switch back and forth; we used to do that a lot with the character generator for the French (and German) characters.

Well, that seller is infamous for having a shipload of vintage computers that he tries to sell one by one for insane amounts. You will definitely do better, go cheaper than that.

Sorry, I thought there may be hardware differences.
There are indeed a number of hardware differences. The old 40xx models were essentially the original 2001PET upgraded to have more RAM (dynamic instead of static) whereas the newer models with the 12" screen (aka FAT40s) were basically an 8032 with a few chips left out; both versions of the 40xx were available with either the 'graphic' or the 'business' keyboard, usually called a PET40xx or CBM40xx respectively.

Although there are basically only two versions of the keyboard translation table corresponding to the two keyboard layouts, there are quite a few different versions of the ROM chip that contains that table, depending on which model, which BASIC versions, which country, etc.

It depends all on model, condition, peripherals, distance, current availability and so on. Perhaps $75-$100, with a bit of luck far less. However as you may have noticed if you followed the threads in this subforum, a lot of various PET machines are beginning to show up dead. Most can be repaired by small or large means but just like all other vintage computers - it probably applies to the TRS-80 series too - those are now 30+ year old machines. If you have some repair skills or know someone who does, you might get lucky and spot a lightly broken machine rather cheap, a PET that might start to work again just by reseating the CPU, I/O and ROM chips. But you never know how bad the problem is until it is in your hands.

It depends how greedy the seller is. Back when I had a huge surplus, I charged about $30 for a drive, $40 including the W@W R4RE IEEE cable. Often you might find a seller who has both a computer and drive in one bundle. Bear in mind the drive is almost as heavy as the computer, although slightly easier to pack if you're looking to have the computer shipped rather than a local pick-up.

The model you are referring to is called 2001N and usually is the same as the 3000 series in Europe. I believe they generate the video signal with discrete logic. To my knowledge, two things can differ: amount of RAM and ROM version. The 4000 series is a source of confusion, as Commodore seem to have sold quite different PET/CBM machines as 4000 series across the world. It could be a 3032 motherboard with V4 ROMs, but it could also be a newer moderboard with a 6545 CRTC or a universal board that can be reconfigured for 80 columns.

The question is how many pieces of software requires a CRTC. There was a recent PET demo which relies on a CRTC for its effects. On this link you can find a selection of games, of which some are noted which PET models they work on or not:
http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/pet/games/english/index.html

I don't know if any original 2001-8s ever shipped from the factory with the new case & keyboard but Commodore did supply an upgrade kit that consisted of a replacement upper case half, keyboard and decals, so there are definitely some original SRAM 2001-8s out there with a 'real' keyboard and no built-in cassette (one of mine for example ;-) ).

The only sure way to tell is to look at the motherboard, RAM chips and the number on the 'E' ROM.

Oh, thank you.
I think I will go with a 4032, because it has more games.

What is the difference between static ram and dynamic ram?

I think I will go with a 4032, because it has more games.
Probably your best choice if you're actually going to play with it.
What is the difference between static ram and dynamic ram?
Just different technology. Static RAM retains its data as long as it has power, is easier to use, but usually smaller maximum capacity and more expensive; dynamic RAM needs to be 'refreshed' every few milliseconds or it 'forgets', it's trickier to use, but cheaper and generally larger than SRAM.

All PETs, VICs, C64s etc. used dynamic main RAM except the very first model 8K PET (2001-8 ) and some models' screen memory.

No, I want to get all the info I can before I commmit to getting one. I was just curious because I was then Going to ask if you had games then if so I was going to ask what your favorite titles were. I want to get a PET though.

Besides eBay, where do you think a good place of finding one is?

Last edited:
PS What are my chances of finding one in The Hackery in BC?

Also, Are they common at the Vintage Compueter Festival?

No, I want to get all the info I can before I commmit to getting one. I was just curious because I was then Going to ask if you had games then if so I was going to ask what your favorite titles were. I want to get a PET though.

Besides eBay, where do you think a good place of finding one is?
Sorry, I don't play a lot of games; Anders pointed you to a bunch on Zimmer's and you'll find some more with Google. Don't know where you'd find one out there; we used them in schools here and they're around, but shipping would be a killer. I think TPUG still has some, and they also sell a nice CD full of programs, a lot of which are for the 40 column models.

Good luck!

Back