• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A thrift store computer

Unknown_K: I might know a ton about the 486 (at least I'd like to think so), but you know WAY more than me when it comes to practical application.. Thus I pose a question: I may be able to create (or participate in the creation of) a riser card for the Presario 400 series that would add up to 1MB of L2 cache to it (the chipset supports it, there just aren't any sockets for it). The box that I'd use this on runs the P24T at 84Mhz (or can run the Am5x86 at 133Mhz in an upgrade chip format), has 20MB RAM (which I may also be able to increase through modding) and a GD5420 GPU. Do you think it would make much of a difference to add the L2 to this system? The P24T has 32K of L1 cache, for reference (if you didn't know).

A benchmark would notice it but I don't think you would. From what I read back in the day cache over 256K didn't help out much on slower FSB chips. I will look around for some information on it and hit percentage and report back if I find anything.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2896660/Basics-of-Cache

Last edited:
Cache over 256K, maybe not, but as I said - the machine currently has NO L2 at all - would adding any be worth it?

If you can do it cheaply then yes. Thing is you can still find 486 machines cheaply if you look around enough and it might be a better idea just to get one with cache then to hack one that does not have it. The hit percentage over 256K cache doesn't realy help you out much, but having no cache will slow you down.

Well I have dozens of 486 boards and machines - the thing is this is an all-in-one machine and I absolutely love it's design, so I'm trying to make it the best it can be without replacing it's motherboard, since the video card is unique and plugs into the monitor directly.

I will continue to look into the cache chip and how it could be leveraged for a mod then - thank you for the input on practicality of the L2 cache use - I did read that link, BTW.

Back