• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wanted: Kaypro 2 system disks

fr4nk

I picked up a Kaypro 2 (22/84) and got it going, now I need the apparently-impossible-to-find system disks.
Can't someone just release Don Maslin's archive as a torrent or something? Let the world mirror it. :)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This particular Kaypro has the "universal" motherboard, ROM 81-292A, and 2 half-height SSDD drives.

Last edited:
I'm using an HxC floppy emulator now, so I know it's not the drives going bad... I suppose that doesn't rule out a problem with the motherboard itself.
All I get is seeking at tracks 0 & 1, then "I cannot read this disk."

BTW Tezza, I'm a big fan of your blog. I'm going through a lot of the same stuff you have in the past, getting the Kaypro up and running, fixing the Atari 800XL keyboard, thanks for sharing the wealth of information!

BTW Tezza, I'm a big fan of your blog. I'm going through a lot of the same stuff you have in the past, getting the Kaypro up and running, fixing the Atari 800XL keyboard, thanks for sharing the wealth of information!

I'm glad someone finds those ramblings useful :) .

Thanks!

Good luck with the Kaypro!

Tez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qTytOQYz0Q&feature=related

The 2 is a hard machine to find disks for, but coincidentally, I saw this video a few days ago in which a 2 is booted up with a new copy of a boot disk, the guy who sent the video maker the disk left a comment too, so that might be a lead.

I owned a 2 without disks about five years ago and could never find any disk images or any original disks so it ended up as parts for a II.

Download the Kaypro 1 system disk from Dave's site - it has the CP/M 2.2U1 necessary for the universal ROM.

If it's the 2/84 it uses a different rom than the universal rom, I think the uni rom is the 81-478A. 81-292A is earlier, I could be wrong though, I haven't touched any of my kaypro stuff in about three years or more.

My two [2] cents -

Do a search on this site - I think a lot of what you mention was already discussed years ago on this site - so long ago I cannot even remember - but a lot of activity.

Tez - you underestimate your blog - just because we are all so busy sometimes we do not respond but we are listening, watching, etc.

Also, so sorry about recent disaster - we do not get much detail in USA as you do so please pass it on - it is relevant to many of us - you all are our close true "friends" on this site and mean a lot to us - what affects one affects us all in some way.

Frank - "A Kaypro II guy from long ago !"

Also, so sorry about recent disaster - we do not get much detail in USA as you do so please pass it on - it is relevant to many of us - you all are our close true "friends" on this site and mean a lot to us - what affects one affects us all in some way.

Thanks Frank. Those kind words are appreciated.

Tez

Thanks for the leads, guys, but it's still a no-go.
I've spent about 20 hours now searching the net for that damn image.

I asked my old Kaypro group on yahoo groups if anybody had a 2 and could copy disks.

I'll let you know here if anybody there can.

Interesting--my notes tell me that the universal ROM is 81-478-A. The Kaypro 2/84 used 81-292-A (2.2G ); I don't have any other reference of it using another ROM. Can you verify the ROM? Perhaps Kaypro produced the 2/84 with a universal ROM before the model was dropped in '85 or so.

Here's a listing of Kaypro CP/M and ROM versions according to model: http://www.z80.eu/kaypro.html

Thanks for great site to access - I did not know of it - good summary !

As noted in many other posts on this site, others could have modified the Kaypros after they got them, Kaypro in their rush to avoid bankruptcy, fill orders, etc. may have even made some substitutes, etc.

As Osborne noted, "hypergrowth" in the computer industry at that time was never before experienced - so it led to many "things" that went on that may never be documented.

Good luck with your project - keep us all informed so that we can increase the knowledge base on this site.

Frank

Thanks again for the help guys, I didn't ditch out... been too busy with work and so many projects...
I will report back with results after testing!

It just crossed my mind, if you can find somebody who has a 4/84 with the 81-292-A ROM, they should be able to make you a copy for your 2/84. They just need to format and sysgen the copy as single sided.

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone is still looking for the Kaypro 2 system disks, but I just fired up mine and made images of the master CP/M disk and the Basic disk.
PM me if interested and I'll send you the image files. Will also put them up somewhere when I next update my site.

Back