• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Soul of a New Machine

MattCarp

Experienced Member
So I've had the book on the shelf for a long time, but never got around to reading it. I never picked it up because the book is about the people and culture instead of the details about the technology. However, I just read it over the past few days.

I found the book to be really enjoyable. I won't summarize the plot or content, but I enjoyed hearing more about the people who came together to release Data General's first 32-bit product. It painted a scene of intense work, but I have to say that they style of the book definitely leaves gaps in the imagery and sequence of events. Nonetheless you do get a real sense of the struggles the team had to develop and ship the computer.

Next, I found Wired magazine's retrospective on the book from December 2000, about 20 years since the publishing of the book. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.12/soul.html

Sadly, the article says that the movie rights were purchased by Columbia pictures, but a writer didn't find enough excitement to put together a story for film. I'm surprised, really surprised there.

Anyway, the story definitely makes me a bit wistful for a time gone by. While I don't think I'd like working the 80-hour weeks, it would be incredible to be a part of something like that...

I didn't like that book. It seems to glorify DG just because Kidder has access there.

In my opinion, there are much better choices if you enjoy computer history books about people. In no particular order: Dealers of Lightning, by Michael Hiltzik (Xerox PARC story); Bill & Dave, by Michael Malone (HP story); Hackers, by Steven Levy (bible of microcomputer history); and ENIAC, by Scott McCartney (title speaks for itself).

All of these books are easy reads and extremely well researched.

Interesting. I would say that, as a book, I always felt there were gaps. I never had a clear understanding of the organization of the group, as a whole. Sure, I understood there was the hardware team and the microcoding team, who the lieutenants were, etc., but the whole team picture (and timeline for that matter) were hard to follow. It started to come together at the very end, but even still, when I finished the book, I had to do some Wiki/Internet research to fill in the gaps.

What I thought was interesting was that the book took me back to a period where the mini vendors were really duking it out (the 1970s and 80s). Kind of similar to the mainframe wars of the 60s and 70s. It's interesting that now both of those genres are shadows of their former selves. Perhaps it's because those periods slightly predate me, but I've always been fascinated with those classes of machines. Machines themselves were very different from software down to processor, and there were fierce debates over who had the best approach. In particular, I really enjoyed getting an insight into the development of a new processor. Today it seems like new processor development is constrained to Intel, AMD, and perhaps IBM (...I suppose mobile phones are where the action is at there).

I would agree that DG deserves less glory than say, DEC. But in Kidder's defense, the Eagle group really did save DG (if but for only a few more years). DEC had released the 32-bit VAX while DG was still selling 16-bit machines. DG's own 32-bit project was a failure, while Eagle shipped the 32-bit version of the Eclipse within 2 years. So,

I've read Levy's book (Hackers) and agree that that book one of the best!

I'd have to check out the rest on your reading list - ENIAC, Bill & Dave, and Dealers of Lightning all sound like good reads.

You know, speaking of books, while I think we've all read Fire in the Valley, I really enjoyed Ceruzzi's A History of Modern Computing. That gave be some good perspectives on the 40s-60s. Finally, Apple seems to require its own book. While there are several out there, I happened to buy Apple Confidential 2.0, which I thought was pretty entertaining.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Since you asked -

I offer my “2 cents” for whatever it is worth !

Stage direction - enter right - “Mount soap box !”

So glad you and others are interested in the beginning years of personal computers around the 1980’s and 1990’s.

That is an outstanding era that I am continually exploring and also find it not only very interesting, but incredibly revealing about how all this “ PC ” stuff “ really got started, ” not what is more common knowledge distributed by the media for various purposes.

There were some very dedicated and devoted techs who worked incredible hours – many actually lived at the company for many months just to finish a project.

Many were just brilliant in so many ways, but greatly lacking in appreciation by so many others for what they did and could offer.

Ultimately, many were abused by the system and even by some of the managers and did not profit from the great profits they created for some of these companies, although many were promised great rewards for “getting almost impossible jobs done within almost impossible deadlines with minimal resources.”

Management does not come off very well in many cases – bullying, setting unrealistic goals since they just did not know nor want to know tech details about a project, etc. –
“ just get it done no matter what and on time and under budget “ [sound familiar ?]

One way to label such matters is – “ the incredible idealists versus just the money hungry / egotists / etc. ! “

The “ idealists “ – many just in it for the chase / journey of such a new field that could offer so much to humanity, besides it was “just fun” and great companionship with others like themselves.

The money hungry / egotists, etc. – “ control “ was a big issue – all had to go the way they wanted it to go no matter what.

But there are many often repeatable “patterns” of such behavior – for good and bad, with much to learn there for the present and future of computing.

Yet some in management just feel that they can continue repeating “patterns” that never worked before, in the vain hope of it may work for them for some unknown / unknowable reason. Wrong !

So sad, but so predictable – what could have been ?

But not knowing history, nor even wanting to know, can doom you to repeat the past mistakes of others. Who has the resources to do that ? At least make your own mistakes and offer them to the collection for others not to do.

Still today, many companies continue down the well known roads to failure that so many others took in the past. Reasons – many – mostly just being immature and human faults – they just cannot overcome them – somehow the laws of technology / business will not apply to them – but why, what makes them so “special ?”

But in another way of looking at it [“think out of the box”], “ it thins the herd “ of those who just cannot and will not be successes. Thus, those who are on the real roads to success may have some easier journey in some way, since at least some of the “losers” have been taken out of the competition for all the unproductive disruption they cause.

But today, we all benefit in so many ways for these incredible sacrifices so many of the “idealists” made, in many cases for the highest of motives – sometimes just the fun of being part of something great – very personal satisfaction !

Many times, just the money maker managers are publicized for the “great” job [?] they did leading their companies to so great success ! [?]

But, some techs did do well – they decided to leave and form their own companies and some even worked for some of the better existing companies at that time. How delicious the revenge for them !!!

But there are some very just outrageous humorous events also and they happened even with some of the best educated and technical people in the industry ! They help to “lighten” so serious a topic ! Hey, “ xxxx “ happens, you just deal with it, clean it up and move on ! What else is new ?

Read the books – all the books mentioned here are great in one way or another, but just do a Google search for others and get started – I have dozens of such books, many out of print, but available from sources like WWW.PAPERBACKSWAP.COM.

I can post a list and others can also.

Report back to us on what you found and “ your take “ on all this so we can all better understand “ what really happened “ in that so incredible and formative era in computer history.

I hope to write some books on all this to try to preserve some of the incredible “spirit “ of the times and the many fantastic people of that era, usually never really named or even rewarded for all their incredible efforts.

As many of you know, the draft of my 1980’s Kaypro era book is available as a free download on my website under the “Special” folder – WWW.KAYPROSTS.ORG.

Two publishers are considering it for publication, but due to the continual bad economy, I will probably eventually just publish the final version myself for the small “niche” market it may appeal too. It has received an official copyright.

Stage direction – exit left - “Get off soapbox – who is next – step up to be heard by all !”

Frank

P.S.

I am investigating a “blog” like Tez has for such long responses.

Will be updating, upgrading, expanding, etc. my web site in the near future also.

So I've had the book on the shelf for a long time, but never got around to reading it. I never picked it up because the book is about the people and culture instead of the details about the technology. However, I just read it over the past few days.

Actually those are the only computer-related books I like to read. The old technology is fun to have and play with but it's the culture, people and stories that lie at the heart of my interest.

Tez

It's been a number of years since I've read the book, but I found it terribly engagin. Regardless of what you think of what it does and doesn't glorify (or portrary), it's quite well written as these types of books go.

I really enjoyed Ceruzzi's A History of Modern Computing. That gave be some good perspectives on the 40s-60s. Finally, Apple seems to require its own book. While there are several out there, I happened to buy Apple Confidential 2.0, which I thought was pretty entertaining.

I agree. Both of those books are top-notch.

Another of my favorites (although it's more of an academic book) is "Creating the Computer" by Kenneth Flamm.

Thanks to all for lot of good info and new additions to get for my vintage computer library !

Paperbackswap does not have “Soul of a New Machine” 1981 by Kidder available, but a new 2000 edition is available on Amazon for about $11.

There are about 70 Amazon reviews, with only about 8 less than 4 on scale of 5,
+ some very good insights.

Book I was impressed with on this whole topic was “On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore” by Brian Bagnall in 2007.

Covers about 1974 to about 1994, including the dramatic effects of chip issues.

Humanistic aspects are particularly good with much personal detail and some great pictures.

An Epilogue includes updates on many of the key individuals – fascinating !

Has 78 Amazon reviews with 55 with 5 stars.

There is a new 2010 edition, but only 2 Amazon reviews so far – 1 each 5 and 4 stars.

Each edition about $20.

Evan – when we emailed each other a few years ago, I believe you said you had some issues with this book – please share your thoughts, so we all can benefit, since you are so knowledgeable in so many areas of computing.

Frank

Book I was impressed with on this whole topic was “On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore” by Brian Bagnall in 2007. ... Evan – when we emailed each other a few years ago, I believe you said you had some issues with this book – please share your thoughts

On The Edge is extremely informative. Brian is a good researcher. However his writing style doesn't suite my taste. In my opinion his book does not flow smoothly. As a writer myself, that was an obstacle to enjoying the story.

(I read the first edition. Maybe the new edition is better edited.)

so we all can benefit, since you are so knowledgeable in so many areas of computing.

How's my butt smell? :)

Last edited:
I read this many years ago. As a HUGE DG fan, I enjoyed the content, but even I had to admit that I didn't think it had the makings of a movie...

Another possible good book on early computing is –

“Tools for Thought – The History and Future of Mind-Expanding Technology.”
By Howard Rheingold.

It was cited as a better book on Amazon reviews than one of the others previously mentioned on this site.

Originally 1985, but apparently other material has been added around 1999.

Just started it and looks like it will be very good.

However, the author’s background you may want to check on – very colorful – literally !

Never knew Babbage was such a character and that Lady Lovelace was so involved.

Lot of “people” info for my science, technology and society [STS] research, especially on the “society” [humanistic / people / etc.] aspects which I am weak on.

But people make it all happen ultimately – the power of public opinion – one way or the other – informed or not, etc. !

=================================================================

Got the other 3 books this week from Amazon [Kidder, Flamm, Ceruzzi]. Looks like I got my spring reading all set to go !

They were not on the WWW.PAPERBACKSWAP.COM site.

All look great on a first pass, but not read yet in depth.

Thanks to all for suggesting them to add to our lists.

So much to learn in one short life time !

============================================================

But as Flamm notes in the Epilogue, “It was a different game now.” Corp took over after the ultimate success and made money on all the hard work of the “engineers,” who where all quickly forgotten and not congratulated in the post “formal announcement” Eclipse [not Eagle anymore] was available.

Same with the atomic bomb development – Manhattan project – “idealists” [scientists] get it done and politicians take it over for their purposes !

Another STS “ pattern “ in so many areas.

But we on this site can continue to help keep the “ record straight ” and honor those who really got the job done and preserve “ correct “ history, not revisionist / media / corp / etc. history.

We can also preserve the “ tech aspects “, which will soon die out, along with the above, unless we take appropriate actions – whatever they might be – e.g. get more young people involved, preserve / mirror this website for the future, publish in hardcopy, etc.

Note, even your own website can be preserved for the future long after you die – many organizations say they do this today – pay your money and hope they do it, since you will not be around, but others might be to make sure.

So stay tuned – what a ride we all have ahead of us !

Any comments by others most welcome, so we all get better informed on all of this, especially with respect to “your own personal take” on these and many other books.

It will be fun to see what you might say compared to others !

Ah, diversity of humanity ! Isn’t it great !

Frank

Back