• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New video retro-review of Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V 486

SiliconClassics

Experienced Member
Hey guys, I just finished another retro-review, this time of a full-tower Gateway 2000 486DX2-66 system circa 1993. I included shots of some MS-DOS gameplay and the huge user's manual. Unknown_K, you mentioned wanting a Gateway 2000 486, you might enjoy this video.

Not sure what to do next, but I was considering an "unboxing" video of 3D Studio r4 for DOS if anyone is interested.

Fantastic!

Has a very professional feel, which was unexpected. You did quite some research and I love the authentic TV and paper advertising.

Well done!

Nice review. You've done Windows 95, you could go over the plus pack and/or Windows 98 and what that introduced. I remember at the local BBS meetings we'd have a monthly demo or topic. Had folks from Broderbund, Microsoft, etc showing off their latest wares. The 98 demo was pretty sleek, things (small as they were) were applauded like the ability to sort the freakin start menu items with a right click lol and dragging a window while showing the contents was pretty cool as well. Driver database was pretty impressive too for natively supporting a huge amount of hardware. Driver support is something I do think helped with their lead in the OS Market vs competitors.

Nice video. That tower would be killer to have (closest I have is a desktop P-66 gateway 2000) but rarity and weight will drive up the costs.

Nice review. You've done Windows 95, you could go over the plus pack and/or Windows 98 and what that introduced. I remember at the local BBS meetings we'd have a monthly demo or topic. Had folks from Broderbund, Microsoft, etc showing off their latest wares. The 98 demo was pretty sleek, things (small as they were) were applauded like the ability to sort the freakin start menu items with a right click lol and dragging a window while showing the contents was pretty cool as well. Driver database was pretty impressive too for natively supporting a huge amount of hardware. Driver support is something I do think helped with their lead in the OS Market vs competitors.

heh, I was a beta tester for Windows 98/98SE... and have the shirt to prove it! There is an interesting story behind the origins of 98SE, little did Microsoft know it was become their best seller.

Thanks. I'll get around to Win98 as soon as I can find the demo. I never really used it much. After Win95 I switched to NT, and have stuck with NT-based Windows kernels ever since. Completely avoided 98 and the Windows ME debacle.

The Gateway 2000 tower in the video (the tall one) is for sale now, including the manual and original software/driver CD-ROM, in case anyone's interested. I've already got a custom-build 486-66 system, and need the free space.

Thanks. I'll get around to Win98 as soon as I can find the demo. I never really used it much. After Win95 I switched to NT, and have stuck with NT-based Windows kernels ever since. Completely avoided 98 and the Windows ME debacle.

The Gateway 2000 tower in the video (the tall one) is for sale now, including the manual and original software/driver CD-ROM, in case anyone's interested. I've already got a custom-build 486-66 system, and need the free space.

I pulled the trigger on one of these on e-bay last year but the guy wanted way too much for it. Was a good thing too since I ended up finding the Megacube the next hour! :) But they are very nice systems!

Not that case, and I didn't follow Gateway much but their P5-1xx pentium towers which we had at the state were interesting. Medium tower case, 3 5.25 bay unit but the interesting feature was you could unscrew that metal bay holder and turn it sideways to effectively turn the tower into a desktop or vice versa depending on preference.

Back