• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How did this happen?

It's one of the reasons I really hate the 'how much is this thing I dragged out of my parents attic worth' questions on computer forums. What it's worth is exactly how much you're able to get someone to pay for it. Sometimes that 'how much' is too little, but sometimes that 'how much' is too much. In the end, though, I guess if the guy who bought this is happy with his purchase, then the price was good...I know I'd be dealing with some serious buyer's remorse, though...

(Found Tie Fighter in box on floppy at Goodwill for 2 bucks yesterday...no buyers remorse here...)

Part of the reason I never tell people that what I offer for a piece of equipment isn't 'what it is worth', it is what I am willing to pay for it, and if they can find someone else who will pay more, go for it :) As someone said, too many people out there dragging things out of storage with $$ signs in their eyes, looking for easy money. Not always that simple.

I think people generally understand that when you make an offer it is somewhere in the area of what you think it is worth (most likely lower because people like to get good deals).

Even among collectors who specialize in some specific software you get very wild swings in what they are willing to pay for a rarity at any one time. There are quite a few pieces of software and hardware that a very very small group of people are willing to spend a bunch of money on to have. Once in a while a seller will stumble onto something one of they wants badly and will make some money. But once that small group is satisfied the selling price will fall like a rock.

Back