• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BIOTERROR! Brand New PET-2001 game (8k, 40col)

Ok, got it on a tape and loaded on a original pet 2001-8.
Works fine. (It's 4:52 in the morning so I think I'll sleep now and play tomorrow.).

BTW, it runs on a c64 just fine using the pet emulator software. I just have a problem with the first line becoming corrupt while loading, but putting a 0 rem line and then deleting the first line after loading clears that up. This is how I transfered it over to tape for my pet.

Later,
dabone

Awesome! I am glad to know that it runs on the actual machine since mine is smoldering in the corner.

I can beat my own game in 7 days on level 13...it turns out to be less challenging than I hoped.

My original idea included mutations of the cure code, and a cure code that increases in length every time a city becomes infected. This would have made the game play longer, but I just couldn't fit that in.

Thanks for confirming the download.

I did find a bug in my first version so I uploaded a new file with a fix which also gives a new option for the number of initial infections.

I know you worked late on creating a real tape for this game, so here's a quick bug fix if you want to salvage your work:

move the instruction on line 1 which reades IR=DL*.00082 to the end of line 6.

Last edited:
Ok, got it on a tape and loaded on a original pet 2001-8.
Works fine. (It's 4:52 in the morning so I think I'll sleep now and play tomorrow.).
Later,
dabone
How'd you do it? I see various ways, wonder what actually worked for you?

TIA

Code:
100 CIA = 56576:VIC = 53248:VRAM = 648:BSTART = 43:BTERM = 55:NMIVEC = 792
110 POKE CIA, PEEK(CIA) AND 252 OR 1:REM SELECT VIC MEMORY BANK #2 ($8000 - $BFFF) 
120 POKE VIC+24, PEEK(VIC+24) AND 15:REM SET VIDEO RAM TO START OF BANK
130 POKE VRAM,128
140 POKE NMIVEC,193:REM POINT VECTOR TO RTI (DISABLE STOP/RESTORE)
150 POKE BSTART+1,4:REM SET START OF BASIC RAM TO $0401
160 POKE 1024,0:REM ENSURE BYTE AT NEW BASIC START - 1 IS NULL
170 POKE BTERM+1,128:SET END OF BASIC RAM TO $8000
200 POKE VIC+32,0:POKE VIC+33,0:REM SET BORDER/BACKGROUND COLOR TO BLACK
210 PRINT "{green}{clr}### COMMODORE BASIC ###"
220 PRINT " 31743 BYTES FREE."
230 NEW

I use this to load the pet program on a 64 using my uiec, and then save to tape.
The problem I have with a garbage line is the fact that this program sets the start of basic to 1025. ($0401). The original roms found in the 2001-8 set basic start at 1024 (0400). To get around this, I add one line to the start and then delete it. It's worked for most things, but if someone can mod the above program to start at 1024 that would be great.

And remember, don't try doing this with a jiffydos computer, because the tape routines were removed. (I boot into jiffy, go to the right subdir on my card, then flip the switch and reset to non jiffy).

Later,
dabone

Ah, the uIEC does simplify things somewhat... ;-)

That still seems a little more complicated than I'd expect, but I guess I'll have to try it someday and see for myself.

Thanks for taking the time!

Back