• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

XT286 Technical Reference manual

per

Veteran Member
I've just uploaded the scan of the IBM XT286 Technical Reference to my personal webpage at the following address:

Se post below for new URL.

This is a temporary solution, as sitesled.com tend to have quite unstable bandwith at some times (right now it's terrible in terms of what's usual), and because it's limited how much I can store at the site. It will stay there for now, but I would really like to encourage other people to upload it to decent and stable servers. The file itself is about 36MB.

Last edited:
Downloading now...I'll mirror it at http://filedump.glitchwrks.com as I have unmetered transfer at no additional charge.

EDIT: it's downloading as a 50-some KB file, don't think that's correct, and 7Zip won't open it.

Must be a timeout fault. As I mentioned, Sitesled.com is curently at terrible speed (average 1KBpS). It doesn't use to be this bad, so I am assuming it's curently being DDoS'ed.

I'm now trying some public uploading service instead.

Looking at the manual, I see at least one notable previously not mentioned difference: The 287 is clocked at 4.77MHz instead of at CPU speed (6MHz) like in the AT.

I thought that the AT had the 287 clocked at 2/3 the CPU speed.

That's true, and that's one way the XT-286 differs. The first editions of "Upgrading and repairing PC's" made some points about this, stating the 287 in the XT/286 was faster than in a 6MHz AT (4.77MHz VS. 4.00MHz).

Also, the XT/286 also has an automatic voltage-sensing PSU, where all other IBM machines in the traditional PC lines either has fixed-voltage PSUs or PSUs with a manual voltage-selection switch.

The remaining differences are the already known ones, like the zero-waitstate memory system and terminated ISA-bus.

Back