• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fun with a couple of $NZ 15 ($US 12) Apple IIes

tezza

Veteran Member
Just posting this for those who might be interested.

I've been having fun with a couple of old Apple IIes recently. I've written about the experience and documented it in five articles starting with this one.

Bear in mind these are not as common or cheap as they are in North America so I'm happy with the result.

Edit: Opps, I actually got the units for $NZ 10.

Tez

Last edited:
Thanks for some happy memories Tez !

“ Oh those were the days “ – as the old song goes !

The “Apple period of our computer lives !” What a time it was [from another song?].

Students really worked them hard in so many ways – you had a difficult time getting them off.

Then “pink eye” hit ! We tracked it down to having to disinfect the keyboards, then all fine. So even back then we could have used those ever so popular disinfecting wipes today. I think we just got some alcohol from the lab and wiped them down periodically.

Many stories to tell !

I need to get a blog too – it is on my list, but not that high up due to other priorities.

================================================================

Are not those disk drives in those Apples “Tandons ?” Sure look like them. Maybe modified special by Apple ?.

Do you not need a Tandon for your Kaypro II ? You had mentioned you have a Teac substituting for one of them.

===============================================================

Thanks for the S/N on it – in the 5000’s – wow ! that is early. You posted it on the Kaypro Registry thread in answer to a question.

Explains a lot about why it is so different looking.

As you can see from my initial draft of an Excel spreadsheet to try to organize the Kaypro data that was submitted – Boy did Kaypro produce a lot of “ variations “ of just their Kaypro II model !

Any pictures you can post eventually of the vent holes in particular on the outer case – sides, back and underneath, would be helpful as a benchmark, since it is such an early variation.

MOS6502 posted S/N for his Kaypro II’s as 3309 and 8523 and some pictures.

My Kaypro 4 – S/N 65644, P/N 81-004 – near handle at back, but all do not have one - is a lot different from yours – more like a Kaypro II.

Everyone interested in Kaypros should certainly check out your blog – wealth of info on them and many other computers also. I have not looked at it in some time.

All the best always !

Frank

Thanks for the comments guys.

GADFRAN if I get some time this weekend, I'll do some snapping with the camera re: the Kaypros. I've got two now (the original II and now a Kaypro 4). I'll take pictures of the back and sides of both.

Above & beyond what a lot of users would do, a great example of what a bit of determination can lead to. I was expecting to see you just clean it up a bit, or maybe play with software. Jeez!!!! You must have a mass amount of patience as well, one PSU after the next, one cap after the next. :p
Nice work man!

Sorry MJNBGA, one is already spoken for and I'm keeping the other.

Above & beyond what a lot of users would do, a great example of what a bit of determination can lead to. I was expecting to see you just clean it up a bit, or maybe play with software. Jeez!!!! You must have a mass amount of patience as well, one PSU after the next, one cap after the next. :p
Nice work man!

Thanks. Rather than determination, my wife would call it obsession!

I quite enjoy the diagnostic process. A little like detective work and very satisfying when you crack it.

Tez

Back