• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

cheap security camera.

i ended up ordering one of those cheap wireless camera's off of e-bay today since i got to deposit my paycheck today. i also ordered a cheap usb DVR.

Sweet :) Let us know how it works. Maybe it'll be an idea for surveillance monitoring of our collections :)

well i received the camera on Friday and it looks fairly good and don't work too bad. i have not received my usb dvr so i have not got any samples of it yet. the only thing i see wrong with it is the night vision seems to kick on too often like when it is over cast. once i get some sample footage i will post it.

One other thing you might consider doing/making is a cheap IR illuminator (i.e. just a series of IR LEDs connected together to whatever power source you like). That will help light up the darkness for night vision mode which generally isn't very good past 10 feet or outside of the direct line of sight.

woflie can post the actual answer but the quality a lot of time is different from day to night and generally night is black and white not color like daytime mode. I've seen cameras go either direction though, some area really crisp night vision and hazy day time, others are crisp day time but hazy night plus it takes a sec for the leds to come on which can also be like a flash in your footage.

you pretty much nailed it. it goes black and white when it kicks in and the only time you see color is if it is a bright color. i will try to get some good examples.

This wireless security camera seems to be very promising. It has a maximum range of 300ft so if your vehicle is several feet from your home, you can set the camera up near the vehicle and transmit the video recordings wireless. It has night vision so it should work well in the dark. Plus its not too expensive. :) I'm thinking of getting one for my car. Its parked about 50 feet from my house. (I don't have a garage LOL)

If you can find it from a local store with a return policy check it out. A LOT of times those max range are nowhere near accurate. It may be able to see that distance on paper but that means exactly that, you can see an unfocused blur up to 300ft away with perfect outdoor lighting. The night vision typically isn't very good past 20 feet on most cameras so you end up needing to use extra illumination devices (the cheap way is to find low voltage IR LEDs and replace the bulbs in a cheap led flashlight).

Back