• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: IBM 1387033 keyboard (for 3290 terminal, maybe others)

kishy

Veteran Member
1387033.jpg

This keyboard is buckling spring (believed to be the Model F variety) and will most likely have a 5-pin DIN plug which is not physically the same as AT. Part number may vary from 1387033 but there are also non-buckling-spring versions which I am not interested in (at least not as much)

Please get in touch if you can supply one. Shipping from anywhere except the US/Canada may be too high to be practical or worthwhile but I'd be willing to consider it.

Not interested in a terminal to go with it.

Edit November 2010 - I might have a hookup for this...but if you find one please let me know!

Last edited:
View attachment 4372

This keyboard is buckling spring (believed to be the Model F variety) and will most likely have a 5-pin DIN plug which is not physically the same as AT. Part number may vary from 1387033 but there are also non-buckling-spring versions which I am not interested in (at least not as much)

Please get in touch if you can supply one. Shipping from anywhere except the US/Canada may be too high to be practical or worthwhile but I'd be willing to consider it.

Not interested in a terminal to go with it.

Edit November 2010 - I might have a hookup for this...but if you find one please let me know!

Aforementioned hookup worked out...I have the board as of today.

I know people interested in others so if you stumble upon one, please PM me. Thanks

Curious - I've often seen these and other terminal keyboards discussed while lurking over at Geekhack, but I've never heard someone actually explain WHY they want to use these terminal keyboards on the PC. Are the extra function keys available for use by default? Software programmable? Other than that, to me, it's just a layout variant with the buckling spring that my beloved Model M already uses.

Excellent question.

Well, the 'more desirable' variants use the 'Model F' technology, which is the earlier version of buckling spring...as seen in the PC, XT and original AT keyboards...which use the same sort of spring mechanism, but the flippy hammer part at the bottom actuates a capacitive sensor instead. The difference in feel and sound is surprisingly significant.

Each key sends a unique scancode...this makes them very apt for remapping to do assorted things, even macro functions. Using software like AutoHotkey you get a lot of flexibility...you can do this with any input device, but having extra keys makes it more convenient. Whether you want to have a key to run the 'ls' command with a specific set of switches every time, or you want a key to open this website in your default browser, or media keys (without having to contend with a lame keyboard, as generally only lame ones have media keys included), the extra keys are helpful.

I've moved away from the hacks to use them over PS/2 natively (they do use the AT protocol, just a quirky implementation of it - possibly the earliest version, as they predate the AT itself by some period of time) and am now using a USB converter somewhat equivalent to this one, but which has not been released yet (I'm somewhat of a tester for it).

The desire for this particular keyboard came from two things...wanting to make sure it behaves properly on the same converter code as the other boards, and also because it's a cool board...you get the extra keys, and regain some of your desk space. As I don't often need a numeric keypad it's an acceptable trade-off (if any substantial amount of numbers had to be entered, though, I'd definitely go to a board with the keypad).

I have some of the Nokia versions of these boards that I would like to get going on a PC. When using the Hercules mainframe emulator its usefull to have 24 F keys as the mainframe ises these....

Back