• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

“ German “ Kaypro and CP/M !

GADFRAN

Experienced Member
“ German “ Kaypro and CP/M !

www.z80.eu/kaypro.html

by Peter Dassow.

Thanks to all for alerting us to this great site !

As far as I was aware, there were only some Kaypros with “Netherlands address” on the back case and an office there.

I have one !

Non-Linear Systems [NLS] was international however and they made Kaypros.

Osborne did have a German office also.

Anyone else with more info on this ?

I have asked Peter to respond.

Frank

Kaypro Europe operated out of the Netherlands. So far as I know they were the only European distributor for Kaypro. Some machines only have a sticker on the back with their addresss, others have it printed on the case.

If you're interested in finding out about that operation, some people you might try getting ahold of are Leonard W. Johnson, Michael Whalen, and John Batter. Although Batter works for Dreamworks today (according to an online profile) so he may be hard to get in touch with. They all served as general manager for Kaypro Europe.
And then there's Paul Kooiji : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/paul-kooij/12/a63/ba4 Who worked with Kaypro Europe from 1989. There isn't much info about Kaypro Europe, but apparently Kaypro Corporation sold off Kaypro Europe in 1989 to get more cash for the company back home.

Interestingly I found this short article: http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-4277351.html
Which seems to suggest that Kaypro had specific distributors for Europe and Australia.

Thanks so much for the info ! I really appreciate it.

I have checked out the references you mentioned and will continue to pursue them as time permits.

I did not know of the Australia connection. Maybe that is how some Kaypros got to nearby New Zealand [e.g., Tez’s many posts on this site – just do a search on this site if you want more info].

I want to put such items in my books in the future to further document the Kaypro era.

Jorg on this site sent some info a few years ago about the Netherlands situation.

You can do a search on this site to see what he had to say.

Maybe we will get more info in the near future on the Europe and especially the now newly identified German connections.

Sounds like you are new to the site.

Please give more info on yourself – e.g., your profile on this site – all like that and your location of course helps in many ways.

Do not be shy, we are all a very friendly group here just interested in fostering vintage computers in any way we can.

It took me two [2] years to feel more comfortable about posting on this site.

Be aware that you will be notified if there are any private messages [PM’s] to posted thru this site by email.

I would normally do that [PM] with this message, but since you are so new, you may not be aware of this option.

PM’s do not clutter up the site and threads with just individual items of interest.

All the best in all you do.

Frank

I have seen a different european address on the backs of some Kaypros though. I was trying to find a photo of it, and finally found a clear one:
Kaypro1-7L.jpg

Since this is a Kaypro 1, it might indicate that they changed addresses when they (kaypro europe) changed management in 1986. I haven't seen this address on older Kaypros.

Site for credit where credit is due: http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Kaypro/Kaypro1.html

My Netherlands Kaypro 2

My Netherlands Kaypro 2

BACKKAYPRO2NETHERLANDS.jpg

Mike,

Thanks !

MIne is attached for those who are not aware.

Hope attachement works - I am still new at all this.

Yes a different address and you are probably right why.

I am in SE PA and you are at State College - we corresponded on this site years ago.

You have a great site ! Keep up the good work.

Frank

Oh no, the photo is not mine, I linked to give credit to mike.

Hallo,
I just got me a KayPro II.
The machine comes up with the Insert Disk Prompt.
When I insert a system disk I get nothing on the VDU.
When I opened the machine I found parts of blown ELCO’s.
So I think it is beyond my capabilities to repair the machine.
On the back is a sticker from a Dutch firm. I do not know if it is a KayPro dealer or from u user.
I am including a Photo.
Henk Siewert
001.jpg

( I hope this works. URL: http://www.swtrocketry.com/001.jpg )

Thanks for your post on your “unusual” Kaypro II !

More pictures would help !

There is a lot of expertise on this web site, but they need to actually “see” what you have.

It can get very complex – we are finding out more and more that there were so many variations of Kaypros for many reasons, even of the same model !

Do a search of this site on “Kaypro” and you will see a lot of posts for the “knowledge base” we are establishing on this site for Kaypro info.

What country are you in ?

More details on where you got it, the history if known, software, etc. all helps.

It gets like a “murder mystery” to try to solve from the facts at hand.

=============================================================

From my experience, I would say that the added label could be just by a “ reseller / dealer ” of Kaypros in your area.

It is labeled as being from California otherwise and by “Non-Linear Systems” [NLS] and not Kaypro ! NLS became Kaypro later.

See other posts on trying to start a “ Kaypro Registry” for more info – there were a lot of “variations” of Kaypros even within the same model like even the early “Kaypro II you have.”

Serial number looks suspicious ! Looks more like a more modern plastic tape with raised serial numbers pressed into it.

Most Kaypros I have seen have a more flat serial number label – check other posts and pictures on this website.

150183 would be a high number, especially for an early Kaypro II – but we do not know how Kaypro / NLS actually did their serial numbers – continually, or by each model / version, etc.

Do not know what you mean by “ blown ELCO’s” – capacitors ?

Even if you cannot repair it, info on it may be valuable to all of us “ historically. “

Also, since “ parts “ are so scarce for Kaypros, it could be used by someone just for the parts.

Surprisingly, as the early Kaypros evolved, many of the parts remained the same – CRT, power supply, disk drives, disk drive shield, keyboard, case, cables, etc., so they can be swapped with other Kaypros, even possibly some different models.

Realistically, someone paying just for shipping in your local area is about all you can expect. In some cases maybe $50 - $100, but without software to run it, it is not worth much. But you did say you at least have a boot disk apparently.

But you may have some other software – please list what you have – that may help us with your issues. Any other accessories come with it ?

Shipping out of your local area can be prohibitive since they are so heavy – about 30 pounds !

All the best.

Please keep us informed as you progress with this Kaypro II.

Many of us are most interested.

Thanks !

Frank

Back