• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A2000 flashing white screen issues

Spankmd

The title says it all. Scored a sweet deal on EBay, the unit arrived and that's all I get. Worked with the seller, tried reseating the CPU and Kickstart board (multi kickstart). Still flashing white. Anyone have any ideas of what to try next? (or a rev 6 motherboard for sale)

I would start with the basics.

Take the kickstart board out and just use one ROM for now.
Re-seat ALL of the other chips on the board.
Take a good look around, make sure there aren't any loose screws or other connections. Re-plug everything.
While your in there, if it still has the original leaky battery, get that thing out of there and neutralize the battery acid (white vinegar).
Re-seat all expansion cards, like the A2091 if equipped. Be careful though, plugging in a zorro II card the wrong way is very, very bad (something WILL fry), and very possible.

I didn't physically pull all the other chips, but I did press on them. I'll take them out and reseat them tonight. I'll also try the vinegar thing (the battery was replaced, but there is still a little green on the board).

This being my first Amiga, what is a Zorro II slot? Is that the slot near the front? I noted direciton of all cards upon removal. I'm also running with only the PS plugged in, nothing else. If all else fails, there is always ebay to the rescue (may have to settle for a Rev 4 board, the only Rev 6 looks like it may go to high).

Thanks for the help, Mike, I'll let you know how it goes.

Zorro are the long slots in the middle.

The one near the diskdrive(s) is the CPU slot and the 4 ISA looking like slots are eemmm just ISA slots.

So remove every expansion card (ISA, Zorro and CPU bus). And also just install one kickrom whit out the switch. But be careful to install the kickrom the right way.

a2000mb_rev63_chips_7.jpg

What's the short slot next to the Zorro slots? (But not the shorter slot by the CPU, which I assume is the CPU slot). There was a drive controller card plugged in it. (And again, thanks for the help. I got the A2000 to setup a Video Toaster system, my normal area of expertise is IBM hardware)

thanks for the pictures, that answers it. any suggestions if reseating and cleaning did nothing? (still white screen, then blink, white screen).

Or some lines on the mainboard are broken from the acid. Can you make a picture from CPU and the battery.

I've seen it several times, the leaky battery must have kill the CPU socket. Usually replacing the socket and checking/cleaning the PCB does the trick.

Have you spotted green/white acid goo in the nearest pins of the 68000?

No green on the CPU, but the board is green from old battery issue. First roound of vinegar done, waiting for it to dry. I'll try to get a pic up if that doesn't work. (Looking like I'll be in the market for a new MBD)

If the CPU pins are clean the socket must be prolly free of heavy corrosion; but it could be damaged anyway; so if you can replace the socket you'll be sure that it's fine.

I fixed it (well, actually I got a new board and now it runs like a champ). Anyone interfere in a dead rev 6 board? Pay for shipping and it's yours!

Hey, congrats!, well, sort of...;)

If you've room enough, keep it as spares or you can even unpopulate the sockets and recycle just the mainboard. CPU and custom ICs are prone to fail and is always a good idea to have replacements at hand.

Back