• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Has anyone gotten the Novell server emulator,mars_nwe to work?

salamontagne

Experienced Member
Hi. i'm trying to support some very old machines useing the novell client (i hate to use it but due to my choce of a VNC like program i'm forced to)

I'm trying to get the Netware server emulator, Mars_nwe to work on a linux (gentoo)
system, but i get the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/mars_nwe/obj'
rm -f Makefile.o
cp ../makefile.unx makefile.c
cc -E -DLINUX -DQTAINSYS -DUSE_GDBM -I.. makefile.c > Makefile.o
rm -f makefile.c
make -f Makefile.o n_all
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/mars_nwe/obj'
Makefile.o:86: *** missing separator. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/mars_nwe/obj'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/mars_nwe/obj'

Can anyone help me out here?

thanks a bunch.

Without knowing what is on line 86 of the generated Makefile.o, no one can say.

It's probably just a white space issue. And I'm fairly sure mars_nwe has been abandoned for years.

Are these PCs? Can you use PC-NFS instead?

Thanks for the reply. Lines 80-91 of makefile.o are(without the brackets):
[
[HOBJ3= $(PROG3)$(O) connect$(O) namspace$(O) nwvolume$(O) nwfile$(O) unxfile[$(O)
[
[
[HOBJ6= $(PROG6)$(O) sema$(O)
[
[
[
[
[
[
[$(PROG2): $(PROG2)$(O) $(OBJ2)
[

There are blank spaces before line 86, so i'm not sure that the blank spaces are the culprit.

Ive tried Tsoft's nfs for dos, located here: [url]http://www.rawbandwidth.com/software/[/url]

Its pretty much abandoned, still for sale, and any request for support is met with stony silence. I wroteup a thread here detailing my experiance, and it appears i need a daemon thats no longer available: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-875689-highlight-nfs+dos.html

The other options i've looked into are: find a utility for the novell client to work with a samba/cifs server (not happening) loading the m$ client with the novell stack (would work, but netbeui needs to be the protocol, and a patch for the samba server didn't work (the patch is an extremely old one) trying XFS and tsoft's nfs for dos (didnt work, was able to mount the drive in dos, but even a 'dir' command resulted in a 'file not found' trying to copy stuff to the server resulted in a funny dos message: it would list the file on the local dive as not being there :mad:

Hence the reason I'm trying mars_nwe. I really dont want to use a windows virtual machine to do something that a simple linux package would do. Plus, if i can find a way to make something in linux work, its possible i can add it to dd-wrt.

Again, thanks for the reply. most of the places i post no one bothers to respond.

The people maintaining GNU make have added tighter checking on syntax problems in the last few years. What used to be warned or passively ignored, now error. It's gotten really extreme in 3.82. Some of the changes have been deliberate; some through code re-factoring.

In general any stray trailing white space should be trimmed. Any leading white space that is not a tab should be made tabs.

I tried to get mars_nwe building on FC14 a few months back when I was looking for something a bit more light weight than MS LAN Manager 2.2 or 3.x; specifically NetWare client 3.x. I quickly gave up. And I consider myself an expert on open source make systems, autotools, and GNU tool chains. I settled on Sun's PC-NFS client. It works well, uses common NDIS drivers (maybe others too), and still left me with nearly 600K and a drive mounted. And obviously it works across a protocol that is still well supported today. If you're interested, send me a PM with contact info and I'll see if I can find the install disks. It's long been abandoned by Sun.

Is this from the actual source code or from a gentoo package? The gentoo developers seem to modify source code a lot of time which sometimes breaks things that wouldn't otherwise be an issue if the source was compiled from scratch. Alternatively have you looked for a precompiled binary? (emerge -G package if you have a binhost specified in your /etc/make.conf).

FWIW, mars_nwe compiles and installs fine on FreeBSD (it is in the ports tree, as net/mars_nwe). I tested on FreeBSD 8.2-stable:
Code:
root@kg-vm# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-vm.kg4.no 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #3: Fri Mar  4 21:16:39 CET 2011
     root@kg-vm.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
Unfortunately, I don't have any Novell clients or machines, so I can't test that it works.

I'm sure you've read the main site too, it does rely on you having an IPX driver installed as well which may be a dependency check it's doing. Not sure what potential you could have trying to cross compile it with linux compatibility in bsd or if it's worth the effort ;-)

Yeah, I spent like a full week trying to fix the makefile, found a better one - one that was already fixed, tried to recompile, didnt work. seems the code is soo old it wont compile on GCC> 2.95. Ugh. Well, cant blame a girl for trying :p And, yes, i enabled IPX in the kernel (as a module, but it dosent matter) It wouldnt matter, untill it actually came to runtime. But, alas...

Actually, this is one of the abandoned projects that, if a programmer would take interest in working on updating the code, that I'd toss a few bucks in a paypal account to support, espically if it was made to work in, lets say, OpenWRT. Imagine It - All of your old pc's supported by your router and an attached USB harddrive!

I'm working on doing something similar, with NFS. There's Tsoft's Nfs client for dos (which I'm currently planning on useing for my old battered bbs machine) and (Take A bow, eeguru) The original Sun Pc-nfs client for an 8088 machine bbs machine owned by a friend of mine.

Of course, I'd love to see Mars_nwe brought back to full life. IPX, IMHO, is far more effecient then tcp/ip when it comes to file shareing. And, to boot, isn't automatically routeable (Security)

Back