• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Items Still Seeking for my collection

irishmike

Experienced Member
Hi:

I thought I'd put out my "want" list for what I am still looking for. If you have any of these to sell, please advise. I will prefer a local source if there is one (Kansas City Metropolitan Area), but shipping on some of these is a bit prohibitive, but still would like to talk if you have any of these. My town is Olathe, Kansas 66062 for shipping quote purposes.

The items are:

Whole Systems:

DEC Rainbow system
TI-99
Tandy 1000TX with Keyboard
Macintosh IIfx

Parts:

Tandy Color Computer 3 case and power supply or non-working COCO3.
Tandy Color Computer Multi-pak interface for COCO 3

This will actually complete my vintage collection. A note on condition, I am looking for these in VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT and as non-yellowed as possible :) This being said, obviously price I am willing to pay is variable by the condition... for example, a very yellow Tandy 1000TX would not be worth as much as one that was white like new. Example of price: for the Mac IIfx, I would pay up to $30 for the box in like new condition and working, highly yellowed, it is worth $10 to me.

Just want to throw that out there. Hope someone can help. I do plan to build this over time, so PM me if trying to sell one to me.

Well, I DO have a Tandy 1000TX with keyboard in excellent shape, but, you wouldn't want to be shipping that from central Canada to Kansas unless someone else is paying the freight :)

Example of price: for the Mac IIfx, I would pay up to $30 for the box in like new condition and working, highly yellowed, it is worth $10 to me.

Just want to throw that out there. Hope someone can help. I do plan to build this over time, so PM me if trying to sell one to me.

Haha Good luck with that. A Working IIfx in any condition is worth $100. A perfect one in a box has never been seen as far as I know. $500 maybe ?

I saw a IIfx at my local recycler about 2 months ago and I am actually kicking myself for not picking it up. It booted up fine and was pretty yellowed, but they wanted $1 for it. I am keeping my eye out for another one from there as they do come through every once in a while and the price is always $10 or less. I would prefer to buy from an individual but I would not pay anywhere near to the $100+ mark for this machine. I might do $40 max from an individual. There is a IIcx locally that is still on a guy's desk and he wants $10 for it, but I don't think I want the cx :) So I am not out of my mind. BTW: I do need to make it known publicly that I do not recognize eBay as any kind of authority and I do not use them (or PayPal) at all because I have been burnt too many times personally. I also would point out that I do not have any thing against a seller asking what he wants for what he is selling either... but I do not do "retail" on my buying anyhow, so I reserve the right to NOT buy something I feel is too high :)

Regarding 68K Macs, something must've happened recently in terms of how desired and valuable they are on average. Just a few years ago, I found almost every model to belong to the $5 door stop market niche but recently I've read and heard from several people that an increasing number of models have a decent following and thus people willing to pay non-trivial amounts of money. Some of them surely still are "roadkill" Apples, but if the trend continues, any old Mac will be hard to come by cheap for those who are interested in it. I wonder if a majority of modern Mac users, those who used to only desire the very latest and coolest stuff, actually have begun to look over the shoulder for Apple history and are collecting old hardware before it is too late.

Supply and demand is what is going on. All those free 68K machines are either broken (common issues are leaking capacitors and dead power supplies) or recycled. Same thing happened with IIgs system that were common as dirt and free and now cost a decent amount for a stock system.

When Jobs kicks the bucket prices will rise even more (holding onto my macworld issue 1 with his face on it and that commands some money even now).

I think we are starting to see a computer collecting bubble anyway, prices are going up for things that should still be somewhat common. It could be that people are not buying new computers like they used to because of the economy and are fighting over the old stuff to play with. For years I used to joke that I wished Amiga/Commodore didnt go bankrupt because I could get the 68K machines and parts for nothing while users faught over the PPC stuff. These days even the 68K mac gear is going up and Amiga stuff is still pricey.

Back