• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your vintage and modern on the same desk

As far as I am aware, a “glare screen” is one that reflects what is in front of it, so you have to adjust the room light so that it does not do this very well – can be very annoying / distracting / etc.

The early CRT’s [cathode ray tubes, old TV’s] – some may be too young to recall them – today LCD’s – big advantages – were notorious for this for many devices, not just computers – it was all we had – you got use to it and expected it.

See my post early last month on a creative / cheap “ pantyhose solution” that was popular in the Kaypro era- with obvious “odd looks” from your female friends when you requested if they had even any that had runs in them !

Kaypro soon adopted the “anti-glare screen” - some sort of frosted coating that broke up the glare – but you still got some “fuzzy” reflections, but a lot better ! Then many other computers got them – e.g. our early 1990’s Gateways.

They were not perfect, so “anti-glare” aftermarket devices to put over the CRT became popular. In some offices, you just could not get away from the glare.

Elston CRT’s from Geneva, NY was a big source. Never had to replace one in over 20 years of hard use. Same with power supplies, after touching up some of the solder joints.

2008 bought out by Display Technologies Inc. of College Park, NY [not MD].

Still available – do a Google search - $400 new, $400 repair – duh ! guess new is the choice. But new have metal shielding partial case – nice compact unit – see website picture, which may or may not work for Kaypros.

Apparently 9” CRT’s were very popular then for some reason – heard it was for surveillance cameras and various electronic instruments - so Osborne and Kaypro used them a lot.

Kaypro made a lot of well built rugged electronic instruments with international and even military sales – so stringent military specs had to be met – greatly over engineered in today’s jargon probably.

You “ neat niks “ are incredible – I envy you ! My computer room looks like you tipped it upside down and then righted it again – mess / chaos / etc. but comfy – “ improving all the time “ as Benny Hill would say !

Just too busy with one project after another – lax in just putting stuff away – including tools / parts / etc.

All part of my specific detailed inventory of our six [6] Kaypros for the new Kaypro Registry that has been proposed.

Wow ! So many differences I never caught ! Check yours out also. Reason – chaos at Kaypro – Osborne “hypergrowth,” etc.

More on all this later – just started my second Kaypro book – “Dissecting ………” because of all of this. Fascinating !

Enjoy !

Frank

Eh, glare screens are overrated. Plus you gotta ground them which I guess I'm too lazy to enjoy otherwise it's just another ESD generator and something to fall off whenever you're tinkering behind the system.

My "office" has become a storage room but I have a few vintage systems in there sitting with my current rig. However it's become more of a storage and server room now with kids and wife I haven't had the time to use many things and it was suggested that the girls trying to sleep in the room next to me blowing away zombies with a shotgun wasn't appropriate. I was gonna go ahead and usurp my speaker/sub setup from there to the TV but wouldn't ya know it's all "digital" audio now just to ruin your current ability to do the same thing without spending extra money. ::grumbles about new stuff::

If anyone hasn't already and I've recommended it before but try out your older gaming system on an Amiga monitor. It'll look like the next gen of the same model (so much better resolution than a TV).

You don't have to ground a glare screen. You hang them on the monitor.

I have my 486 on the same desk as my modern and semi-modern (k6) PC. All are connected to the same LCD monitor tthrough a KVM. (Yes myy modern PC is using dsub). I don't have the space to keep a crt around,but I do have an AT keyboard attached to the 486 that I pull out when Im using that. I'm really glad I decided to put the older machine on my desk because it gets a lot of use that way.

My "modern" machine at this point is a laptop, but my Amiga and MSX will be sharing a desk (and, with the Amiga, a keyboard, mouse, and monitor) with the next tower PC I get.

You don't have to ground a glare screen. You hang them on the monitor.

From what I recall it builds up static like crazy (much more annoying than the glare) but the ones I've seen had a cable and alligator clip to attach to the case to reduce that. Other than that it was just some velcro pads to keep it attached to the CRT. I'm sure there were lots of types though, it's just what I recall. Working on someones system with a glare screen usually meant getting shocked a few times.

From what I recall it builds up static like crazy (much more annoying than the glare) but the ones I've seen had a cable and alligator clip to attach to the case to reduce that. Other than that it was just some velcro pads to keep it attached to the CRT. I'm sure there were lots of types though, it's just what I recall. Working on someones system with a glare screen usually meant getting shocked a few times.

I used to have a NEC Multisync 4FGe with the matching monitor anti-glare lens. The monitor had a ground point built into the track the lens slid into, no extra wires needed.

My Ampro Little Board Plus and my Mac G3 beige box both share a desk with my iMac:
newdesk-vt-102.jpg

You can see more of my "junque" in the blog post where I originally posted that pic from last summer:
http://catsonkeyboards.blogspot.com/2010/06/retrocomputing-summer.html

The desk in the last pic in the blog post has a 486 on it that's been in continuous service since about 1992, so I don't really think of it as a "retro" system. It replaced an XT clone which was my prior electronics bench system (which I still keep in the garage--it's got a V20 and an 8087 in it.) The 486 still runs my device programmers, runs SPICE, and does media transfers for me between different systems. I've got an old 286 that I use for talking to 8" drives, I'd like to merge its functions into the 486.

All the glare screens I ever ran across were made of plastic. Static simply wasn't a problem.

Got a great deal an additional table last week (I now own 3 identical tables) so I was finally able to move my vintage machines into my basement office. I now have one table for the Lenovo ThinkPad W500 setup and one table for the vintage machines. The problem with the second table is that I could never get to the rear easily. :D
jHPZ1dsz4TUMbyhYO7UAwX6ndmgOMbnizFW1pkfSp6KlLHEdwW79WPGIsjuB7NxsIrfW87QeOvubIprrxC6My_ZDpw=s512

gZahepaaRCS4F-p64QQMOsHIteVfolCDkprAQU4oidnTqByeG1ziz5dsbNf8UIcNFG7hihR_T0AG1ihHuBJCLQCqAg=s512

BQsuB_cNRE4TAEkhW7GIEcJfd1037Oq8uWduShGBpgHuKZPfEEWbcVHOoPqNhZLDPxwlhvaJM2bmHAoG_DVmzSnLaA=s512

Well, in my basement, I have my "home server" (aka: Basement space heater) with my Apple IIc on top, doing double-duty as vintage computer and serial terminal:

I've got my "modern" computer (Athlon XP 2000+) connected to a triplehead on my desk. Sitting above it on my desk is a trio of old laptops: A TRS-80 Model 100, Toshiba Sat. Pro 400CDT, and an old DEC 486DX4 laptop that I really need to rebuild the battery and fix the floppy drive in.

Before the move to Virginia my Macintosh 512Ke shared the desk with my main machine, a P4 IBM Thinkcentre. I also had a table next to the desk with a TRS-80 Color Computer II and a Sega Genesis hooked to a 13-inch Crt TV. Right now, I don't have a desk but I do have a table with my Apple IIc, Compaq Contura and my absolutely appalling Lenovo G Series laptop on it (when they called it "budget line" they weren't kidding at all!).

Back