• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Voodoo 1

manicminer

Greetings,
I'm building one computer to play some 3DFX Glide games with spare parts I have around.
I have a Diamond Monster 3D 4Mb PCI Voodoo1 card and I don't have any 2D PCI VGA card. I only have one Geforce MX440SE 64Mb AGP. Would this configuration work so that the 3DFX card would to all the 3D processing?

It will run Windows 98 on a Quantum Fireball 2GB SCSI HD.

Cheers

Sure thing, that Nvidia card should work well with the Voodoo card, and in Windows 98.
I am using a similar configuration, except for one Nvidia 4200 Ti and Voodoo 2 SLI.

good old Voodoo1 4mb pci card, many fond memories. HUGE increase in gaming performance,
Your combo should be fine. I believe I had some sort of ATI All-in-wonder tv tuner card thing & my original voodoo 1.

I'm also eying to build something like that, most likely a Matrox Millennium will do the 2D

Tomb Raider...

The main reason I purchased a Creative 3D Blaster :D

That was such a quantum leap for PC 3D graphics. I just couldn't believe how awesome these Voodoo games were.

Thank you all for the replies.
Back in the "good old days", I never had the chance to play with a 3D card. I had a S3 Trio VGA card.
One day I went to a friend's house and he had the Voodoo 1. I played Tomb Raider and I couldn't believe in my eyes :)
Now that I managed to score one, It's time to build a Old School PC to play what I have missed.

For nor, I have the CPU ( Athlon XP 2600 (too much I think, but I'm trying to reuse what's laying around) ), Motherboard ( MSI K7N2 Delta ), RAM ( 2 x 256 DDR 400 ), Maxtor 20Gb HD, Sony 16x CD-ROM drive IDE.

I have a ISA Adlib OPL2 sound card and a ISA Creative AWE64. My motherboard does not have any ISA slot, so this is my first problem. I think I will try to get a "new" board for it, with 2 ISA slots.
I'm missing the Power supply and the ATX case.

I also have a Adaptec AVA 2904 SCSI PCI controller, 2Gb Quantum Fireball 2110S HD and a 6x NEC SCSI CD-Rom drive.

My original idea was to try Dual Boot. The 2Gb SCSI HD in FAT16 running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98SE on the 20Gb IDE.
NEC SCSI CD-Rom and both sound-cards installed. Geforce MX440SE with the Monster 3D.

A friend of mine told me that I might have problems with IRQ conflicts but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think about this configuration? Should I aim for a lower end CPU? Or the Athlon XP is going to be OK for playing classic games?

Note: I've always been a hardcore fan of Ultima 7, so that game is going to be played a lot :)

Cheers

GL Quake, the only way to play it. :)
Keep the motherboard, find a PCI sound card.
Or get another board and processor, you almost have enough to build 2 PCs.
Don't think I'd try 2 sound cards.

Originally I used a Matrox Millenium 1 with my Voodoo 1 card (Orchid brand with mechanical clicky relays you could hear switching into 3D mode). Pretty much any 2D card will work. A P233MMX would be good enough for the original GLIDE games, you are limited to 640x480. Look around for early 3dfx branded games (Mechwarior 2 3dfx edition was all the rage back then along with Tombraider).

good old Voodoo1 4mb pci card, many fond memories. HUGE increase in gaming performance,
Your combo should be fine. I believe I had some sort of ATI All-in-wonder tv tuner card thing & my original voodoo 1.

Same setup I had. Original ATI All-in-Wonder (3D Rage II+DVD based) + an Orchid Righteous 3D voodoo 1 card. That setup was originally in my Pentium 133Mhz, I later transferred both cards to my PII 450 (really budget build) and finally retired both cards when I got my Matrox Marvel G400-TV in late 1999.

Thank you all for the replies.
Back in the "good old days", I never had the chance to play with a 3D card. I had a S3 Trio VGA card.
One day I went to a friend's house and he had the Voodoo 1. I played Tomb Raider and I couldn't believe in my eyes :)
Now that I managed to score one, It's time to build a Old School PC to play what I have missed.

For nor, I have the CPU ( Athlon XP 2600 (too much I think, but I'm trying to reuse what's laying around) ), Motherboard ( MSI K7N2 Delta ), RAM ( 2 x 256 DDR 400 ), Maxtor 20Gb HD, Sony 16x CD-ROM drive IDE.

I have a ISA Adlib OPL2 sound card and a ISA Creative AWE64. My motherboard does not have any ISA slot, so this is my first problem. I think I will try to get a "new" board for it, with 2 ISA slots.
I'm missing the Power supply and the ATX case.

I also have a Adaptec AVA 2904 SCSI PCI controller, 2Gb Quantum Fireball 2110S HD and a 6x NEC SCSI CD-Rom drive.

My original idea was to try Dual Boot. The 2Gb SCSI HD in FAT16 running MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 98SE on the 20Gb IDE.
NEC SCSI CD-Rom and both sound-cards installed. Geforce MX440SE with the Monster 3D.

A friend of mine told me that I might have problems with IRQ conflicts but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think about this configuration? Should I aim for a lower end CPU? Or the Athlon XP is going to be OK for playing classic games?

Note: I've always been a hardcore fan of Ultima 7, so that game is going to be played a lot :)

Cheers

The Athlon XP should work fine with the Voodoo 1 ;)

The only thing you should take head to is the amount of memory you will put in it. Any version of 9x can have proplems when using 512MB or more so I'd suggest you use a 256MB bar. 256MB should be more then Windows 98 will ever need ;)

If you want ISA slots, then I'd suggest you hunt down a Slot 1 BX board. These often come with 2 or more ISA slots and will run both the Voodoo 1 and the MX card just fine ;)
On top of that, BX boards are known to be solid performers and have very little stability issues ;)

Good luck! And may all my smileys be with you lol! ;)

Back