• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Woohoo!! VCF Southwest 2.0 this August 6th and 7th, 2011

barythrin

Veteran Member
Announcing the Vintage Computer Festival Southwest 2.0

The VCF is not a swap meet, but you will have a chance to buy things or even come home with prizes. There will be speakers and videos each morning, exhibits each afternoon, and special events throughout the weekend.

The VCF is completely indoors so it will take place rain or shine. Admission is $10 for one day, $15 for both days, and free for ages 17 and younger. Parking is free. Hours are 9 A.M. - 5 P.M. on both Saturday and Sunday.

Please download the flyer and distribute it locally. Feel free to forward the flyers or the web link to anyone.

For more information please email Museum.IT.Arlington with an AT then gmail.com or call 817-264-MITA (6482).

Last edited:
Anyone want to announce their presence there? I should be good to go, I'm still debating whether I'll be there both days and if I'm going to bring anything to sell and/or display.

I'll definitely be there.

Once again, I'll have my CC-40+ rig with floppy drive and a semi-functional wafertape drive.

Also planning on bringing my tricked out Amiga 500 and my Minimig.

Possibly bringing the entire Osborne line.

Hopefully I'll be able to bring a disk imaging computer to make boot disks for people and hopefully get some image donations.

Who knows what else!

One week to go!

I just added another item to show: a Commodore netbook prototype!

It's just a Chinese made netbook, but it has the name and the "chicken lips" logo on it. Was going to be sold by the re-constituted Commodore USA group, but never made it to market.

Still, to see the logo and name on a modern piece of kit is interesting.

Ah! I've been wishing for a VCF I can go to, and don't you know I'm on vacation for the month in WV. It's a shame, my house is only 40 minutes from Arlington. Hopefully there will be plenty of pictures.

--Jack

Last time, surprisingly enough, there was NO Tandy/Radio Shaft stuff. Except for a couple of pieces I had for sale.

The only Texas computer maker that was represented was TI and that was me with my CC-40+ setup.

Sure would be nice if we could get someone with some Radio Shaft/Tandy gear to show this year! HINT!!! HINT!!!!

I would expect there to lots of Radio Shack / Tandy pieces at this.

Well, IF I still bring the Osbornes, it may have to be a static display.

Was working on my tan case O-1 yesterday and couldn't get the B drive to work properly. With other preparations going on, simply don't have time to give it the time it'll take to get it up and running.

Guess I'll have to see how packed the CR-V is and decide then.

Yeah, don't you hate it when you're going through your collection and you can't find two Kaypros?! Annoying. Actually there are a few boxes of books in the way of where I last recall storing a briefcase with a selection of TRS pocket computers that I could display if I can find it. Cooler if I could know if they work lol. My times been busy lately and I'm having a similar problem not getting things fully tested or some of the items I don't have software for otherwise I'd have them up and playable.

On the bright side I do know I'll be there both days and I'll be paying for a table. Just trying to juggle work, family (and their clothes for the weekend), and what computers I can reach or have multiples of to bring for show or sale.

Brenden, are you bringing your Model 1xx or 200s? You had them last year with a floppy drive or two. If so I was tempted (assuming they turn on) to bring two Model 100's if I could test them with your floppy drive. Not sure if there's any good diagnostic test out there or just a simple app to test loading or memory testing. Only if that's ok and no risk though. Otherwise I keep meaning to find an external floppy for sale.

In future years it'd be cool to have some gear for folks to bring and test their equipment, etc. Curtis has the great offer to back up disks or create backup disks.

Bummer, Curtis. Hope everything ends up ok.

@Barythrin: I hadn't planned on bringing M100 stuff but I sure wouldn't mind. In fact, I still have one of Curtis's floppy cables for the M100 that I intend to get back to him. Was planning to bring one of my Model III, 4, or 4p, among a few other things.

As was stated before, Tandy should be reasonably represented this time. Last I checked, the exhibitors list had no less than 3 folks bringing that brand of equipment this time (including myself).

Last edited:
Yep, it's confirmed. IF I make it Saturday, it'll be late. I have a funeral to attend Saturday morning in Vernon, TX. Services at 1000 and then hit the road for 175 +/- miles. Puts me in approximately 1500 (3:00 p.m. for your civilian types).

Ya know Brendan, if you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have remembered that cable!

Good to hear one of the OTHER Texas computer companies is going to be well represented.

Now all we need is some Compaqs and Dells.

My condolences to you all.

Well I found my briefcase with a few TRS-80 pocket computers that was hiding from me so I'll take those since they're nice, portable, and Texas related. Then Gil suggested just bringing some interesting things in general and not to worry too much about it lol. I'll do something more organized next year I'm sure. That's interesting Curtis.. I forgot about Compaq and Dell.. *tries to recall where the Compaq Portable is* Wish I had an example of early Dell but they've slipped through my hands (PCs Limited).

Well, I'm batting 2 for 2!

Once again, got all the computer stuff, clothes, camera bag, and me loaded into the car and forgot the memory card for the camera!

2 years in a row I've done that.

I do know someone was taking pictures, so hopefully they'll share with us.

There are a few pictures that Gil took here. Most I think were from the first day, I'm not sure what pictures everyone took. If it makes you feel better my wife did the same thing, I bugged her a few times to remember the camera which she did. Just the memory card always seems to be somewhere else whenever we bring the camera on trips. She may have some pictures on her phone but unfortunately it's probably just my gear that she took pictures of. (BTW, some of you may see a system you recognize ;-)) Since I was bringing examples of early portables a few are systems I bought off the forums from some of you :)

Last edited:
Back