• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally got my Presario CDTV520 up and running, YAY!!

RWallmow

Veteran Member
Finally got my Compaq Presario CDTV520 booting, turns out the CPU was in fact the problem, replaced its (evergreen) AMD 5x86 133 with a Cyrix 486Dx2-66, change CPU jumpers, and presto-booto. Now I have a Cyrix 5x86GP100 on order from ebay, but now I get to thinking I bet this PC is a 5 volt only, and I believe the 5x86 chip is expecting 3.x volt, is there such a thing as voltage regulator socket adapter, or were the only voltage regulated chips the ones like my (apparently) dead Evergreen?

Good to hear. There's a few of us that have similar machines- http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?21188
Yeah, I have always had a soft spot for any kind of all-in-one PC, hell I have even made some of my own all-in-ones in the past. I once bolted my 15" NEC LCD to the side panel of my Athlon 800mhz back in the day, had all the cables routed internally, and a nice sturdy handle on the top, made a GREAT rig for hauling to LAN parties (this build is long gone, and sadly I dont think I ever took any pictures of it).

These days I have several AIO's, My Mac SE, Mac Plus(mini ITX), IBM PS2-25, Compaq 520, and a more modern AMD Sempron 3000 in an micro-ATX AIO case with integrated touchscreen (was designed as a POS system, was originally a Celeron 400) which runs Win7 Ultimate 64, its used to watch netflix or TV or surf the net in the kitchen.

I am also always keeping my eye out for old iMacs, believe it or not my fiancee even supports this one, she "thinks they are cute" and wants one too, lol

Ok, I just tried the Cyrix 5x86 GP100 CPU I ordered in the CDTV520 and I am getting page faults on bootup, I am assuming its because its a 3.5volt CPU running on 5volt, so I ordered a voltage adapter and will have to attempt this CPU upgrade at a later date I guess.

I had heard of people running 3.5 volt chips on 5volt and them working (at least in short term), but I guess most were just trying DX4's and not 5x86 upgrades, so I guess mileage may vary on overvolting the chips.

FYI for those interested I found and ordered the voltage adapter on amazon of fall places, and for only $12.99, I figured I would be hunting long and hard and pay through the nose for something like this.

Back