• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bell & Howel II plus Issues- Wont boot

AppleIIfan

Banned
Got into my pile of apple stuff tonight..

Sure enough the one I wanted to keep isnt booting. It powers on, but with a weak power light.. I swapped PSUs from another parts machine and still get the same result??

Any ideas

Somethings's semi-conducting where it shouldn't (or not conducting where it should). How do the legs of the chips look? Shiny, or black and dingy? Any corrosion on the board? I assume you've removed all expansion cards, and have pulled/reseated all chips?

I havent reseated all the chips im going to get to that tonight, all the cards have been removed

Reseated all the chips.. Still nothing.. The other backpacker model I have powers on to thick vertical lines on the display

Have you picked it up 1" from the desk and dropped it yet ;-) (sorry little Apple /// humor there).

Is there any signs of cracked or exploded caps, I want to say some of the old radial caps in the power regulator section of the ][+ boards were common failure points, the radial caps can be hard to find, but people have replaced them with regular barrel type modern caps (pretty sure I saw someone doing just that here on this board, but for the life of me I cant find the thread now).

Last edited:
I cheated.. I had a spare II plus that worked fine and was sitting in the closet, so I swapped logic boards.. Turns out my B&H also needed a keyboard encoder as well. So its operational at least for display purposes.. If I ever want to set the other II plus up i can just swap boards again

I cheated.. I had a spare II plus that worked fine and was sitting in the closet, so I swapped logic boards.. Turns out my B&H also needed a keyboard encoder as well. So its operational at least for display purposes.. If I ever want to set the other II plus up i can just swap boards again
I have a spare encoder you could have for postage if you want, I replaced my stock ][+ encoder with one from http://www.brielcomputers.com/superencoder.html because it has a PS2 port, so I can use an external PS2 keyboard on my ][+ (have to put up with that until I can replace the keyboard on mine, about 90% of the switches are sticky or bad)

Last edited:
about 90% of the switches are sticky or bad

Have you tried an iso-alcohol bath and a bit of a workout? cures a lot of ills.
(you need to make sure it's dried properly though)

Only real challenge is buying a decent amount of iso without being accused of being a meth dealer. :smile:

Have you tried an iso-alcohol bath and a bit of a workout? cures a lot of ills.
(you need to make sure it's dried properly though)

Only real challenge is buying a decent amount of iso without being accused of being a meth dealer. :smile:
I never tried cleaning in alcohol, but I had given it the dish washer (without detergent, and a very long air dry) treatment years back to no avail, after that I had given up on it, and got the PS/2 capable encoder, and planned on replacing it when I found a keyboard at the right price.

Back