• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What DOS Game uses 16 bit sound?

barney

Experienced Member
I installed a new sound card and I would like to test its 16bit compatibility. What DOS game do you know of that has true 16 bit sound? Thanks.

I'll have to give that a try. I do have Wing Commander II installed. Would that fit the 16bit clasification for sound?

I'll have to give that a try. I do have Wing Commander II installed. Would that fit the 16bit clasification for sound?
Nope -- 8 bit sound for the samples, adlib sound for the music (well, unless you go midi / mt-32).

One that takes a bit of hardware, but is a great test is "terminal velocity" which lets you set all sorts of audio options right up to 44khz 16 bit... game REALLY takes at least a 486 or higher to enjoy it though.

You might also try some of the various mod/s3m tracker programs. While the samples in mod files are only 8 bit, s3m's can go higher and the 16 bit mixing makes a big difference in quality.

IIRC, Epic Pinball would use 16 bit 44khz, but would require a fast 386 to do so. Shareware versions of the Android table are easy finds. Also One Must Fall 2097, which is now freeware (search Google for it).

Back