• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Portable Sega

RPM94

Experienced Member
Williamstown, West Virginia, United States
I was looking through some boxes I got from a hoarders house and I found a Portable Sega with a wide view attachment and a sonic game in it. I plugged the game in, the 6 batteries were dead, and it actually turned on and works fine. It only game with one game but it is a pretty fun game, a sonic game. And the graphics aren't to bad on it either. The only bad sides I see it having is the weight and the fact that it takes 6 AA batteries to run it without the charger. Any ideas if it is worth selling or should I just keep it? And if I should keep it where can I get some games for it then?

Depends. If it's a Sega Game Gear, you can keep or sell it, there are some decent titles for it but nothing like the Game Boy's software library. If it's a Sega Nomad, on the other hand, that's a full-fledged portable Genesis. You shouldn't sell that, you should give it to me ;P

Their prices vary on ebay. Sometimes they'll go for pennies, sometimes they'll pull $50. About two years ago, the battery covers were pulling more than the whole unit, complete. Go figure.

They were worth a bit because you could get an adapter that plugs into the cartridge port and watch TV on it. Then TV went digital, and the adapter doesn't work anymore. :( It's worth about $20. The Nomad is closer to $100.

Well, they're easy enough to come by if you ever want one again. The screen magnifier might be harder to find, though; you may want to consider hanging onto that if you think you're going to want a GameGear again.

Gamegears are pretty common with defects now so to get your moneys worth I'd really recommend doing a quick demo video if you can of it working. Show that the sound, video, and buttons are working. I demo'd two in a store during a sale (they were $30 and the sale meant 2 games for free which honestly was a $30 value lol). They'd been tested and worked by staff but when I tested them I found both to be faulty and they took them off the shelf and ended up in their broken console section afterwards. They would have given me a 7 day return on them but still it was interesting to see that they both crapped out on the shelf.

Back