• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIGS and SCSI Card Slot assignment

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Maybe a dumb question to ask, but what is the recommended slot for a SCSI card to be in? I would like the ability to boot from floppy 1st then SCSI. But if no floppy boot from SCSI. Ala PC. Is it possible?

Maybe a dumb question to ask, but what is the recommended slot for a SCSI card to be in?
Slot 7 is the typical and recommended slot. In the GS, it's the only slot that is set to "your card" by default.
I would like the ability to boot from floppy 1st then SCSI. But if no floppy boot from SCSI. Ala PC. Is it possible?
It's possible, but you'll need to give up something in the process, assuming you're using the built-in slot 6 Disk II adapter. The trick will be to put the SCSI card in a slot below 6 (i.e. 1-5), and turn off some function you can live without in one of those (virtual) slots. Slot 1 will be the printer port, slot 2 will be the modem port, slot 3 will be pretty much inaccessible as it contains the 80-column firmware, slot 4 will be the mouse slot, 5 will be the 3-1/2" drive. What can you live without?

SCSI card in Slot 7, make sure your HDD is set to SCSI ID 7 or 6, Set your startup to Slot 7 and your good to go.

Everything works fine that way, I can use everything.. I have an SSC in Slot 2 as well.

SCSI card in Slot 7, make sure your HDD is set to SCSI ID 7 or 6, Set your startup to Slot 7 and your good to go.
That doesn't give the floppy precedence as the OP asked for, though. There are always boot interceptors, but putting the Disk II ahead of the SCSI is the way to get PC-like behavior without needing to take any extra steps.

I also set my IIgs startup to scan, then it will boot from the first available boot device, Floppy, SCSI & appletalk

My Setup is as follows
IIGS with SCSI- CD ROM, HDD
Slot 1 is AppleTalk
Slot 2 is my SSC card
Slot 5 is 2x 3.5 drives
Slot 6 is 2x 5.25 drives
Slot 7 is the SCSI

With the startup set to scan it checks for AppleShare Server, then the Floppies, and then boots off the SCSI HDD, works well too

Back