• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Apple II (I think) games

sirlocke

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and these forums. After reading the novel, Ready Player One, which I highly recommend for anyone who likes classic 80's games, movies and video games, I started searching out old games for nostalgia's sake. After finding some true classics that I remember like the first ultima and king's quest something else popped into my head that I remember playing with friends, but I can't remember much about it.

There are a set of games that I remember from when I was nine, so late 80's that I believe were for the apple II possibly the Apple II GS or some version of apple. I think they may have come with a magazine or something, they were limited graphics and mostly text based but with some controls, like the keyboard would move the character, they were veiled education because you had to learn about something and answer questions about what you learned and some puzzles. The one I remember the most clearly is you play an ant and learn about a colony as you try to either escape or reach the queen. I know this is rather vague to go on but if someone else remembers this (these) games I would be very greatful as no matter how much I try I can't remember and can't piece it together by searching.

Thank you.
Dave

There's a list of Nibble Magazine demo games here but unfortunately not much in the way of a description or picture of the demos and I'm not seeing them elsewhere right now. It does have a few Ant based games like Ant Race and Ants. A common maker of educational games was MECC though which is another thing to check out maybe. There of course was SimAnt but that doesn't sound like the right game either.

Thank Barythrin, It does not appear to be from Nibble, I went through a bunch of their disk images and that doesn't appear to be it. I am going through the MECC ones now but they seem to have a different vibe but I am not giving up that easily. After going through some games, I can say that Alice in Wonderland kind of reminds me of the games I am remembering, but not quite.

There was one called Ant Farm by Sunburst. It is copy protected. Kind of looked like a cross word puzzle. Then their were some Tutor Tech stacks. Not sure if that was a game or not.

Back