• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which Apple 8-bit was used most for education?

punchy71

Experienced Member
This is a complete newbie question as I am not at all familiar with Apple 8-bit computers. Of all the various models and sub-models of the Apple 8-bit line, which one(s) are most associated with being used for educational purposes?

Thank you

Definitely the Apple //e. Even after the desktop model ended, Apple continued to produce the //e as a daughter card for the LC series Macintosh computers all the way into the 1990s. You essentially had an Apple //e inside your Mac.

The //e's are darn good machines.. We still use them in our house today.. For education software.. All the education software out for the Apple // cant be beat, My 6 year old does all his spelling and math on the //e. Very good dependable machines.. I have a //e card in an LC that my son uses.. plus every model of //e produced

Of course number munchers.. Thats helped my boy increase his math skills.. and his grades.. Same with word munchers. Im thinking I should wrap up an Apple IIe for christmas for him since i got so many lol :p

My elementary school's entire computer lab was composed of Apple IIe machines. Around 1991, they hired an outside consultant who convinced them to upgrade — to the Apple IIc. Probably not the timeliest decision.

Yep Apple IIe. I have seen pallets of these things at recycle centers and all of them had a schools or school districts markings on them.

I think the IIgs units were the last to get dumped by schools (and dumped in massive quantities).

My high school probably had 30 IIes, if not more. They had one or two II+s, and maybe a half-dozen IIgss. They sold all of their Apple II stuff in 1992 to grade schools and used the money to buy a few Macs.

Back