• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

USB 5.25" Floppy Drive

Contrary to what everyone is saying here, there are some 5 1/4" USB floppy controllers now available on the market. But, you'll have to supply your own drive. I'm surprised this community hasn't noticed these devices.

See: http://www.deviceside.com/
See: http://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalo...id=29&osCsid=758ca4583dbdd7976558546c047c80ba

I recommend the DeviceSide one. It is simple. It is read-only, however.

--

You must have missed my previous post where I specifically referenced the Kyroflux. And also Gadfran's post where he pointed out about DeviceSide ;)

Actually, I was negligent in not pointing out DeviceSide as an option in my original post. That said, I've not heard from any users that Kyroflux actually works as a real floppy controller, allowing a drive to work in the standard way that we're all used to, just over USB. To the best of my knowledge, the Kyroflux requires their proprietary software to create a RAW image and/or an ADF-style image of a given diskette, but doesn't allow one to use a disk drive attached to it in the conventional manner. To be fair, I haven't researched this extensively, though if it does, I'm through riding the fence - I'll have my order in!

Oh yes, I am tring to use a DS/HD drive, but I have also thought that something was wierd with my computer, because the BIOS tells me that I can support al kinds of things, and I either don't have the card to do what it says, or it just dosnt work (like in this case.) Even if I have a driver I tried to install a PCI sond card a while back, and It didnt work either.

Probably irrelevant but exactly which model 300GL are we talking about? I've got a half-dozen or so, different versions, and could try one if I get curious enough ;-)

Its a PC 300GL 6275-b2u according to the sticker on the front. And Do you happen to know what goes in the slot on the motherboard right to the left of the integrated graphics chip? I think it might be for graphics memory, but I don't know what kind it uses.

I had thought, Maybe I misunderstood that there was a working USB to 5.25 that could both read and write. Am I mistaken?
I remember something like this discussed a while back. There was a USB 5.25 drive, but it could only read files, not write to the drive. And it was much more on the expensive side.

I had thought, Maybe I misunderstood that there was a working USB to 5.25 that could both read and write. Am I mistaken?

I've never seen it or heard mention of it here... Have seen mention of using the Backpack 3.5" electronics and drivers to utilize a 5.25", but that's parallel and not USB.

3.5" USB drives are readily available and reasonably priced. I've got several. You could transfer the 5.25" material to 3.5" and use it from there.

Back