• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 Model II ROM dump

dcymbal

Hi,

Does anybody have a dump of the Model II boot ROM? Note I am looking for Model II, not Model I Level II :)

A few folks are looking into putting together an emulator together for M.E.S.S. Any disk images beyond TRSDOS and CP/M would be appreciated as well as any other technical doc beyond what's covered in the Model II Technical Manual.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry I cant be much help...

A VERY LONG TIME AGO (like 83 or so) I wrote a pascal pgm that did that... but it is LOOOOOOONG gone!

It was ALOT easier than I expected tho, as I remember.

:D

You might check Tim Mann's site for disk images. I havea Model II but no disks so no way to do a ROM dump unfortunatly :(

dcymbal,

AFAIK, the Model II's ROM only contains the bare minimum of code that is needed to load an OS from the floppy drive. It probably just reads one sector from the floppy and then jumps to that code's entry point. I wonder how much you really need the original ROM to write an emulator, but next time my spouse is out, I'll open the case of my Model II and attempt to read it's ROM using an EPROM programmer. Could take a while before that happens, though.

Anyway, where are you at with this project? It sure sounds interesting!

Cheers,

Christian

dcymbal,

Anyway, where are you at with this project? It sure sounds interesting!

Cheers,

Christian

The trs80m2 driver is now semi-usable. It can boot TRSDOS and CP/M but there are still some problems with keyboard emulation. TRSDOS does not accept any date, CP/M halts after EX, etc. It has come a long way so far thanks to the folks over at M.E.S.S. http://www.mess.org/. Lend a hand if you can!

Lend a hand if you can!

I dumped my Model II ROMs. I got the C8FF CPU ROM, which I think you guys already have. However, I also dumped two character generator ROMs: DA87 (French Canadian?) and D0B2 (English?). My video board is fitted with a small add-on board onto which both character generator ROMs are installed.

Who should I send them to?

Cheers,

Christian

Very interesting subject.

I have a Model II graphics board that was sold by RS. I still have the drivers and documents for it as well.

Is there any thing else you were looking for other than just the ROMs? I think I have a set of utilities and demo items from the RS store.

Let me know,

A. J.
--
trs_80_nut

I dumped my Model II ROMs. I got the C8FF CPU ROM, which I think you guys already have. However, I also dumped two character generator ROMs: DA87 (French Canadian?) and D0B2 (English?). My video board is fitted with a small add-on board onto which both character generator ROMs are installed.

Who should I send them to?

Cheers,

Christian

If you send them to me I can get them to the M.E.S.S. folks. I will message you my e-mail. Thanks.

Very interesting subject.

I have a Model II graphics board that was sold by RS. I still have the drivers and documents for it as well.

Is there any thing else you were looking for other than just the ROMs? I think I have a set of utilities and demo items from the RS store.

Let me know,

A. J.
--
trs_80_nut

Are the docs technical docs that would allow for emulation of the board. That would be pretty cool if so. A scan of them would be great if possible.

I have some technical reference(Tandy/RS Service Mamuals) manuals for the Model II and Model 6000/6000HD. They contain theory of operation and even some gal equations. The Model 6000 i/o subsystem is funtionally equivalent to the Model 2 Model 12. Do you know if the developers have access to these.

I have a set of 8 inch floppies with Model II TRSDOS 2.0, and possibly an application called:

The Wizard of Words
(C) COPYRIGHT 1981 by
Gibson Anderson
Peterson Inc...

Version 05/11/0

These are a piece of family history I'd like to recover. I have made copies with a Catweasel and Shugart 801 drive, and now seek the tools to do useful work with the images.

There were many, many revisions of the Model II ROM. The version with C8FF checksum is the first version and does not have the hard drive boot code in it. That one will only boot from floppy drives.

Here's my personal archive of the Z80 CPU boards for the Model II series. It includes a .ZIP file containing all the ROM images that I have imaged:

http://download.marmotking.com/Z80 CPU Board, Model II, 16 (Tandy).zip

It's a big file since I also take hi-resolution photos of all the boards, etc.

Last edited:
There were many, many revisions of the Model II ROM

I did some disassembly of those ROMs and this is what I found out:
Code:
cpu_c8ff.bin/.hex - No HDA support (Version 1, no date)
cpu_2bff.bin/.hex - slightly different HD boot code (compared to 1bbe/2119) (Version 2, 81-07-29)
cpu_2119.bin/.hex - Identical to 1bbe (8 bytes different in the unused area) (Version 3, 82-05-07)
cpu_1bbe.bin/.hex - Identical to to 2119 (8 bytes different in the unused area) (Version 3, 82-05-07)
cpu_fc86.bin/.hex - U54 in M12. Very similar to 9733, but with ROM checksum (Version 4, 82-11-18)
cpu_9733.bin/.hex - Resets DMA, CTC SIO, no ROM checksum (Version 5, 83-07-29)
The version number and date fields are at the very end of the boot code.

For the curious, the somewhat commented disassemblies are here: http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/trs80m2/m2_cpu_roms.zip.

There are some references to port EFh which I couldn't find in the reference manual. It is FDC related. Anyone?

Last edited:
Back