• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ATI EGA Wonder and IBM PC 5150

Dizzy33

Hello,

can anybody confirm that the ATI EGA Wonder works well on a 5150 IBM PC ?

Thanks !

I'm pretty sure the ATI EGA Wonder (8-bit card) will work fine in a 5150 with an EGA monitor, but not so
sure about with a 5151 mono monitor. I do have an EGA Wonder somewhere here I'll try it with an EGA monitor
to make sure. Be aware that just like the VGA Wonder, there are several different revisions of the EGA Wonder :)

Does anyone have a copy of the EGA Wonder docs ?

The wiki has the following info :

ATi EGA Wonder (March 1987)

Chipset: ATI16899-0 + CHIPS P86C435
Supports CGA, Hercules mono & EGA graphics modes
Removes support for plantronics mode/Single-page Hercules mode/composite output
Compatible with MDA, CGA and EGA displays (DIP switch selectable)
Internal composite port for machines such as IBM 5155 Portable
256kb DRAM
Port: 8-bit PC/XT bus
Original MSRP: $399

ATi EGA Wonder 800

Added support for extended EGA text and graphics modes (requires multisync monitor)
Added support for 16-colour VGA modes

ATi EGA Wonder 800+

Rebadged VGA Edge lacking the analogue VGA port
Chipset: ATI 18800
Can auto-detect monitor type connected (DIP switches no longer present)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Mickey ! I could read in some forums that the EGA wonder works on a 5151 (we can configure the DIP switches to say it's connected to a TTL monitor).
But I still does not have any confirmation that it will work in a 5150, but I just ordered one yesterday ... So now I'll know it very soon ...
I hope I won't be disappointed like I was when I bought the ATI VGA Wonder 16 ! The fact that you're talking about different revision of the card makes me afraid.
But here is what I think : all early revision of the ATI VGA Wonder work with the 5150 upto revision 5. As the EGA Wonder is older than the VGA Wonder, it should also work with the 5150, am I wrong ?
Here is the only documentation I could find :
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/A-B/ATI-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-EGA-EGA-WONDER.html

Sounds great ! Let us know when you receive the card which version it is and how the test goes.

Mine is ATI EGA Wonder v3.03

While looking through my hard drive I found a few files related to the EGA Wonder:

Attachments

• EGAWwin.zip
    34.4 KB · Views: 1
  • EGAWutils.zip
    64.1 KB · Views: 1
  • A1b.jpg
    A1b.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1
I also found some pictures of my card and included those below:

Attachments

• DSCF0144.jpg
    DSCF0144.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0142.jpg
    DSCF0142.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1
Thanks a lot to Aitotat and Mickey !
Thanks a million for the manual, I'll check it.

Thanks again Aitotat as the manual is very usefull ...
They say something which makes me afraid a bit : the card should work on an IBM PC, however some early version the PC may require a BIOS upgrade ...
My PC is not an early one (as it has a 256K motherboard, not 64K), but I hope the BIOS will not be too old.
They also say that we need to change switch 5 and 6 from SW1 to ON, which is not a surprise as it was also the case for the ATI VGA Wonder.

They say something which makes me afraid a bit : the card should work on an IBM PC, however some early version the PC may require a BIOS upgrade ...
My PC is not an early one (as it has a 256K motherboard, not 64K), but I hope the BIOS will not be too old.
No problem. All 64-256K motherboards were supplied with the final BIOS release.

I just received my EGA Wonder and tested it : it works fine on my 5150 connected to a 5151 monitor. However, I just could see my 5150 booting to the BASIC.
I didn't test any graphic software as I don't own any working keyboard ... I will now have to find a working 5150 keyboard to check how games are working with the EGA Wonder in the 5150, of course I'll let you know but it may take several weeks or months.

Back