• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Success story with Apple IIc Plus

smp

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I am Stephen Pereira, a new member here. In real life, I am an engineer by training, and now a manager of engineers. Long ago, I was one of two partners who opened the first computer store in New Hampshire, Microcomputers, Inc. So, as both an engineer and also a personal computer enthusiast, I have a lengthy history with all sorts of personal computers, starting from the original 8080 based kits.

After all these years, I was considering resurrecting an old Apple IIc Plus and external 5.25" floppy drive that I had picked up along the way many years ago. Here is my success story:

Starting with no system or software disks, I perused the forum postings at www.Apple2online.com (I hadn't discovered this forum yet) and came to the conclusion that ADTPro is the best software to use to start from scratch. That was supported by another user there, who answered one of my early questions. The documentation on the ADTPro web site was very thorough, too. Since I had to purchase a serial null modem cable, I went over to www.Retrofloppy.com (also recommended) and purchased one, along with the ADTPro disk for the Apple IIc Plus side. This was probably the best money spent on this project ($20 for the cable and $7.95 for the disk, plus a few more dollars for shipping), because it got me off on a sure footing.

I used a Dell Mini netbook with a USB-to-serial converter and downloaded the server side of ADTPro into that. This setup works like a charm. The Apple IIc Plus booted the ADTPro disk and all I had to do was to select the serial I/O option on both the Apple and the server sides and I was connected.

Using this setup, it was a snap to download some system files and application files into the Dell Mini and then transfer them over to the Apple, which wrote them directly onto 5.25" floppy disks. The main thing is to watch for files that have the .DSK extension. These are files that are ready to go with this process. There are also files out there that have other extensions, too. I'll get to more of that in a minute.

Using the setup I described above, I have successfully set myself up with ProDOS, System Utilities, a couple of terminal programs, and a disk analyzer that told me that my 5.25" floppy seems to be working fine.

After all this, I realized that there are other files out there that have other extensions which are not disk images, they are either single files or a group of files bundled together. Some file extensions seem to be specific to emulation environments, not for direct use on a physical Apple computer. The ADTPro setup is looking for entire disk images, and does not properly handle these other types of files. I figured out that files with the extension .SHK or SDK are files that have been processed by the ShrinkIt application (I'm not exactly Sherlock Holmes, but it did take a little effort on my part). I was able to get the ShrinkIt application by using my ADTPro setup, so next was to get the .SHK or SDK files into the Apple.

I figured that some sort of terminal program that had file transfer capability should do the trick. I have the Hyper-Terminal application on the Dell Mini, so half the situation was already solved. I first acquired the Apple Access II application. For whatever reason, I am attracted to Apple applications. Once I got that up and running, however, I saw that while Access II can perform file transfer, it wants to use the Christiansen protocol (one that I had not heard of) and Hyper-Terminal wants to use Xmodem, Ymodem, Zmodem, Kermit, etc. Not Christiansen. Sigh.

I did some more skulking around on the Internet to find potential terminal programs for Apple II that were also available for download in the .DSK form. I came up with an application called ZLink, also available on Apple2online.com. Both ZLink and Hyper-Terminal are easy to set up and the file transfer operation is also easy to set up, especially since my serial connection between the Dell Mini and the Apple IIc Plus was already proven out with ADTPro. I now have been able to transfer .SHK and .SDK files onto Apple IIc 5.25' and 3.5' disks, and use the ShrinkIt application to restore them.

Whew! quite a good bit of work. I am very happy to say that I have been able to successfully get my old Apple IIc Plus up and running.

smp

Hi Stephen and welcome to the forum. I am Glad you got the IIc working, nice little machine. I have an Apple IIe Platinum and an Apple IIgs. I too had some issues with the .SHK and .SDK image files but for me I found a program called Apple cider. Which is a Windows application that will convert an .SDK file into a .2MG file. Using this method you can then send over the .2MG file with ADTPro just as you would a .DSK file. For the .SHK file the only way that I have found is exactly as you are doing and use Shrinkit on the apple ii side. Just thought this might assist you some.

Hi Frank,

Thanks a million for the tips! I had not yet figured out that ADTPro would handle .2MG files. Now, I'll be looking into that, too.

smp

I had not yet figured out that ADTPro would handle .2MG files.
Sure it can - but .2mg is a wrapper for disk images of any arbitrary size. If you create it yourself, you know just how big it is. But if you download a .2mg from somewhere else, it may be a 140k image - or it may be (more likely) an 800k image that a GS would expect to see as a 3.5" disk.

.SHK is like a .zip file these days. It's just a collection of individual files from the ProDOS filesystem. As you found out, you do need to unpack them onto a disk image in order to transfer via ADTPro - which expects to move full disks around. .SDK is an earlier form of disk image; as you also found out, CiderPress makes easy work of transcribing them into .dsk, .2mg, or whatever you would like.

smp,

Welcome to the forum and to the Apple II! It's great to see someone getting (re)started with the platform.

As you discovered, ADTPro is a great program with which to get oneself started. I too am no Sherlock Holmes, and it took me awhile to realize that the owner of RetroFloppy is also the creator of ADTPro. Knowing that gave me confidence that I was ordering the right hardware to work with his software. :)

As David (that same dual-classed programmer/retailer) recommended, CiderPress is a comprehensive utility for manipulating any and all Apple II filetypes. I just wish we had something comparable for the Mac.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

A fellow New Englander,
Ken

Stephen, you mention you have a USB-to-serial converter, can you please let me know which one? I'm using http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Serial-Converter-TU-S9-Blue/dp/B0007T27H8/qid=1326409260 (the TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter TU-S9) on a Windows 7 64-bits environment and the host gets stuck at "Query file size" (so something goes through at the after I hit Return on the DSK filename on the client because the host gets the right filename, even if it doesn't go much further).

Thanks!

Olivier.

[...]Windows 7 64-bits environment and the host gets stuck at "Query file size" (so something goes through at the after I hit Return on the DSK filename on the client because the host gets the right filename, even if it doesn't go much further).
Olivier - that's because there's a bug in the 64- bit serial DLL that is packaged with ADTPro. I have a beta version available that has worked for others using 64-bit Windows - you should give it a try:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/adtpro/files/testcase/

I hope to get a real release out soon, as I've received word that it works with both AMD and Intel 64-bit processors.

Hello All,
Being a new member, I enjoyed reading Stephen's success story. I can relate to his experience too. About a year ago, I came across an Apple //c complete with a monitor and power supply sitting on a heap of ready to be recycled electronics. Even I don't know too much about the old Apple stuff ( I am more into Commodore /PC stuffs), I got the whole stuff for $10.

Anyway, without any software, I searched the web and like Stepen, found the ADTPro. I downloaded the files but unlike Stephen, did not buy the Prodos disk. I could not remember were i downloaded the ProDos disk image files, but i also have them in the same folder where the ADTPro is. Going thru the instructions, setting up cables and a laptop loaded with ADTPro, I started the great process. The enjoyment here was to start with no Disks at all but a blank one, relied on the Apple//c - ADTPro setup, and successfully created a boot disk.
The success story here, much like of Stephen's, I have now boot disks with ProDos and some basic disk programs,etc. Today, I am going to a store that advertised Apple 5.25" Unidisk external drive for $10....hoping that this will take out some of the disk swappings.

FYI to the community, got the new 1.2 release of ADTPro to work on my Win7 64bits machine, thanks Dave! Like Stephen and RizThomas below, it's a great feeling to get this to work, transfer images and run them! Exhilarating is the word for me :)

Back