• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Going to sell Applied Engineering Vulcan 40mb and card - what's a fair price?

GeoffP

I blindly bought an Apple IIgs on eBay knowing it had an Applied Engineering TransWarp GS (wanted the TransWarp to keep for myself) but got surprised by a Vulcan 40mb hard drive/power supply and controller card plus a Sequential Systems Ram GS 4mb card. I'm not interested in keeping the hard drive as I plan to use a CFFA 3000 in the system when they come available again so I'd like to sell the drive, controller and Ram GS card. I really need some help determining a fair price for these three parts. I don't want to give them away but also don't want to be one of those guys that try to rip off people just because these parts seem to be pretty hard to come by in working condition these days. The drive seems to work great - I goofed with the system off and on over the last couple days. It has GS/OS 6.0.1 preloaded plus Apple Works GS and a few other programs that I had never seen before. It even has a defragmentation program on it (that I ran on the drive before shutting it down and removing the drive). Any help or suggestions anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
GeoffP

I forgot to mention that I also got an Applied Engineering Conserver for the IIgs with the same system that I'd also like to sell - what's a fair price for it as well?

The Vucan PS is a bit more heavy duty than the IIgs originals. I would not sell mine with the HD and controller for under $75.00. So anything over $75.00. But prices have been going up. Paying what you paid for it was high. You are going to have to replace it with another power supply that may not last. Went thur a few of them last week.

Even with the CAFF card if you are going to use GS/OS you are going to need the 4meg card. Min 2meg for the OS. If you want to add any functions or sounds, NDA's CDevs, Finder Extras they are going use memory. I would not sell it.

The System Saver helps keep the Power Supply cool and the Main CPU when using the Transwarp. Also filters the AC for spikes.

Now if you get the the CFFA card get the switch that lets you change disks with out rebooting.

Thats my 3cents worth.

Take Care

Hi Geo3,

Yes, I think I pay a little much for the system trying to get the TransWarp GS card but figured I only live once so I went for it. Thanks for everyone's input and offers. I appreciate any and all opinions.

Geoff

Just throw it up on ebay.. start it at .99 cents like I do all my auctions and let the market take it. Easy and effective

You'll enjoy this: There is currently one up for sale on eBay for $499.95... and that does NOT include the controller card, which the seller is selling separately for $699.95. And if you like that deal, I have some oceanside property in Montana that I'll let you have for a steal!

I went back to my sales database & checked. The last Vulcan drive I sold was part of an Apple IIGS system, which sold for $250.00 back in March 2011.

My personal opinion is that if the drive works, a price of $75 to $100 is fair.

On a side note to the comments pertaining to the CFFA3K cards: they are NOT a direct replacement for a hard drive under GSOS. They still have the 32MB partition limit and seem to be limited to 4 partitions. (I may be wrong - if so, somebody please correct me!) So if you're thinking (like I did) that it would allow me to have >32MB partitions on a CF card under GSOS, no go. But if you're just interested in running DOS-based programs as DSK files, the CFFA3K is wonderful! And I second the comment made: if you order one, get the switch with it. Rich D. did an absolutely fantastic job with the CFFA3K - only wish it didn't have the 32MB partition limit.

The CFFA3000 appears to the system as a Smartport storage device. You can mount up to 8 disk images at a time (similar to an Apple IIgs emulator). The images can also be swapped out at any time while running GS/OS, they are not fixed (except for the boot device). Also note that the 32MB limit is a ProDOS file system limitation, you can mount HFS images up to 2GB if you want. I ought to try ISO images, in theory they should work with the ISO9660 FST in GS/OS.

Anything less than 225, imho, is a fair price.
Ebay has one listed at $1200, for both it and the controller card.
I guarantee that isn't gonna move.

Back