• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

tandon tm7516 dead?

not been able to boot it on another 386 based computer with a mfm card.
If the MFM card you write of isn't the one that was originally used with the drive, then there may be a mismatch of low-level format between the MFM card and drive.

does anyone know the bios settings for the tandon tm262 drive?
There is no common 'bios setting' for a particular drive. On one 386 motherboard, the BIOS drive type number may have to be set to 42 for a TM262. On another motherboard, it could be type 33. On another motherboard, the TM262 may not even be supported.

Is it the case that the BIOS setup on your 386 based computer is asking for a drive type number, but you don't know what number to use because the BIOS setup is not telling you what drive geometry (cylinders/heads/SPT/LZ) it uses for each drive type number?
If that's the case, the following DOS program will list that information. Obviously you'll need to run it from a DOS boot floppy.
www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/AT_FDPT.zip

If the MFM card you write of isn't the one that was originally used with the drive, then there may be a mismatch of low-level format between the MFM card and drive.

Didn't think about that so i swaped out the cards and hello!? it worked, ofcourse after setting the right settings.

There is no common 'bios setting' for a particular drive. On one 386 motherboard, the BIOS drive type number may have to be set to 42 for a TM262. On another motherboard, it could be type 33. On another motherboard, the TM262 may not even be supported.

Is it the case that the BIOS setup on your 386 based computer is asking for a drive type number, but you don't know what number to use because the BIOS setup is not telling you what drive geometry (cylinders/heads/SPT/LZ) it uses for each drive type number?
If that's the case, the following DOS program will list that information. Obviously you'll need to run it from a DOS boot floppy.
www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/AT_FDPT.zip

I set the hd settings to type 47 and put in some values i found on the net note that these values didn't work on the other card in the 386 pc but with the card of the tandon they worked "cylinders 615, heads 4, sectors 17, wcomp 65535, landinzone 663"

thanks for the help anyway now i atleast know the mfm card and hd works of the tandon.

Would you look at that!!! it's booting, i had it over to a friend that's more into electronics than i am so we took the pc apart and looked at the mobo, i honstly don't know what did it but we poped out every chip that was socketed including the cpu but in the process he managed to damage the cpu socket so that 2 pins were showing :(

We tried as best we could to solder those loose pins to the pins on the cpu, didn't look good and i eventually glued on the loose platic bit, not a perfect fit but what can ya do, i was rather upset at this time so i gave up, screwed everything together and my friend thought i should plug it in too see if anything had changed...

To my surprice the pc turned on and booter right into the bios case of no battery power, suppose i should let it run for some hours to see if the battery can still hold a charge.

I still feel ill cause of the damaged cpu socket and it's 4:50am when i write this and cause when i drove over there i had an intact pc but not working... so i don't really know how to take this :(

Well ass they say, proof or it didn't happen, well here's the proof :sad:
Top right corner if you can't see the damage.

30012012113.jpg

Back