• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Which Mac replaced the Mac LC in schools?

punchy71

Experienced Member
In another post, I learned that the Apple IIe gave way to the Mac LC in many/most schools. Apple encouraged the upgrade by making the Apple IIe daughter card meant to plug into the Mac LC's expansion slot so that all the schools would get rid of their Apple IIe's and upgrade to the Mac LC's. But which Mac platform replaced the LC? How about the Mac that replaced that one? And so on... and so on... and so on... ;)

Thank you

I would say after the LC was the AIO Power Macintosh, then the iMac, eMac and then the iMac again. I know our local school district has new iMacs.

I think BGoins12 is about right. If not an early PowerMac, then at least a Quadra or Centris, then to an iMac. Possibly eMac, then to iMac again.

Probably depends on when the school had the budget to upgrade, but from what I've been offered from the local schools' used-computer stash, the progression is something like LC -> Performa all-in-one -> iMac G3 - eMac G4.

AIO G3s were popular too.. I know this from doing this warehouse cleanout must be 75 of em.. I dont want to move the things.. too freaking heavy

I remember we had a variety. My high school was pretty big.

My freshman year there were Mac LC labs for mostly english composition classes. I had a Pascal programming class with Mac SEs (or similar to those). I think that year I also used a Quadra 660AV for a class. Sophomore year I got into a class with a cool tech enthusiast teacher and he managed to score a lab of brand new PowerMac 6100 60 pizza boxes. I remember some AIO LCs too. Next year a few of the AIO PowerMacs arrived. Also, one of my teacher-friends ran the school web site on a PowerMac server with a 604.

The library started its first Internet lab with about 30 Compaq Pentium 100 machines which became totally awesome for Quake in the evening. :D

Then I went to college and Macs were only in the liberal arts building. I did eventually get my hands on a candy colored iMac to try though. I got to use neat stuff like Sun Ultra 5 (engineering), and Dell-bought PC labs showed up. One class used a Sun Ray thin client setup where we connected to a Win2K server via Citrix. That sucked because it would get very slow. I'd just Alt Tab out (whatever that is on Sun) and use Solaris which was just idling because everyone else was using Win2k.

Last edited:
It depends on the school year:

1990-1991: First wave of LCs.
1991-1992: Second wave of LCs.
1992-1993: LC II
1993-1994: LC III, LC 520
1994-1995: LC III+/475, LC 550/575
1995-1996: PM 5200, LC 580
1996-1997: PM 5300/5400
1997-1998: PM 5500, AIO G3
1998-1999 and later: iMac

Keep a few things in mind:

1. The Classic series was also popular in schools (these seemed to get placed by agencies offering computers to schools through programs, such as Giant Eagle's "Apples for the Students").

2. The Apple II line was still available into the 1990s, with the IIe finally pulled in November 1993.

The 5xxx series were indeed cumbersome, although the 5200 and 5300 also suffered from some serious and well-documented design defects. The plastic on these computers was also horrible and was easily broken, especially if the Macs were palletized or stored in stacks.

Back