• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dead Gravis Ultrasound MAX Rev 1.8

lucasdaytona

Veteran Member
Hello!

Just bough a dead Gravis Ultrasound MAX from a very bad seller, the return shipping fee will be more than I paid for the board, and I want to fix her.

Anyone have a service manual for the card?

Tested her in 3 mobos (386,486,pentium 100), no luck, the install program sees the card, but always hang with any settings, tried to make a manual config, but the pc hangs. I removed all the chips, cleaned the contacts, and no luck again.

Thank you!

Are you sure the problem is the card? I have a lot of GUS cards (10+) and in my experience hanging is always caused by some kind of resource conflict or motherboard problem (NMI disabled, etc.) I did have one GUS with no sound output but that was fixed by replacing the op amp. There is no service manual as far as I know.

Are you sure the problem is the card? I have a lot of GUS cards (10+) and in my experience hanging is always caused by some kind of resource conflict or motherboard problem (NMI disabled, etc.) I did have one GUS with no sound output but that was fixed by replacing the op amp. There is no service manual as far as I know.

What is NMI? mine card hangs in the setup, and when I set the ultrinit.exe manually. I mounted her in a bare 386 system, same behavior.

thanks!

My "foolproof" settings for all my GUS cards is ULTRASND=240,7,7,7,7 (meaning, port 240, irq 7, DMA 7). Have you tried those? As long as you aren't trying to print anything, it should work.

The 1.8 rev of the card is earlier than anything I own; is there anything jumperable on the card?

My "foolproof" settings for all my GUS cards is ULTRASND=240,7,7,7,7 (meaning, port 240, irq 7, DMA 7). Have you tried those? As long as you aren't trying to print anything, it should work.

The 1.8 rev of the card is earlier than anything I own; is there anything jumperable on the card?

Rev 1.8
I will set the jumpers on it and try these settings, later I post the results.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, I was very busy... I tested your settings (ULTRASND=240,7,7,7,7), same behaviour. Anything else to try?

the CDROM and the base address are the only settings that are set by jumpers.

thank you!

I recently reinstalled an Ultrasound ACE in a 386/Win3.1 machine. The ACE piggy-backs via line out to line in on a FM soundcard and uses that card for output. I've had this for 10+ years.

As well as the system resource conflicts in IRQ or DMA, there is also a possibility of mismatch between your GUS onboard RAM and the size of the wavetable patch set you are trying to load. Some GUS cards have a second socket for extra RAM that enables bigger patch sets. If you have only the basic 512k RAM, you might find you can need to load a limited patch set. A single high-quality Grand Piano midi patch can overload that basic RAM. Because that RAM is on the GUS card, it applies whatever system you try it in.

.. but I haven't used the Max..

Rick

I recently reinstalled an Ultrasound ACE in a 386/Win3.1 machine. The ACE piggy-backs via line out to line in on a FM soundcard and uses that card for output. I've had this for 10+ years.

As well as the system resource conflicts in IRQ or DMA, there is also a possibility of mismatch between your GUS onboard RAM and the size of the wavetable patch set you are trying to load. Some GUS cards have a second socket for extra RAM that enables bigger patch sets. If you have only the basic 512k RAM, you might find you can need to load a limited patch set. A single high-quality Grand Piano midi patch can overload that basic RAM. Because that RAM is on the GUS card, it applies whatever system you try it in.

.. but I haven't used the Max..

Rick

Hello Rick!

I don't think that I'm having this kind of problem, I'm using original drivers, and the card didn't go over the setup, I would be happy if the card was at least in the part of loading something on the RAM...

But Thank you!, any help is appreciated :)

Back