• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-BIT OPL2 Sound board

Quick check on the OPL2 project to see if there is any renewed interest in a free and open ISA OPL2 board.

Please contact me if interested. If you are new please read the whole thread to get the background on the project.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Quick check on the OPL2 project to see if there is any renewed interest in a free and open ISA OPL2 board.

Please contact me if interested. If you are new please read the whole thread to get the background on the project.

Andrew Lynch

Hello, I take a quick look in everything, and I have just one thing to say:

I dreamed about this last week! I'm totally interested, if is possible to do a OPL/OPL2/OPL3 (mode changed using jumpers) card, that would be awesome! I Have a Roland CM-64 also, if you want to use it as a star point to make a bank synth sound card, you can have it.

Thank you, and sorry if I'm saying bullshit!

Thanks!

Hi! Thanks! It is good to hear there is still some interest in this project! I think it would be great to make this board.

All we need is $150 for five prototype boards and a small group of builders to build and test the prototypes.

I am guessing Per is still interested in build and test so he could take the lead. I imagine there would be others coming along once we had prototype boards.

Most of the work on the OPL2 board project is already done and all the information is posted free and open source schematics, PCB layout, KiCAD EDA files, etc.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=OPL2

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=ISA-KiCAD

All that being said, I would love to see this project finally bloom. This could be a great community project!

Andrew Lynch

The primary challenge of this project - which may be it's downfall - is sourcing YM3812s and YMF262s without gutting an existing board; which defeats the whole point. Unless someone finds a supplier cache or we reimplement the ASIC, I don't see a whole lot of traction. That being said if the chips were availible I would be very interested in building, testing, and financially supporting the project. If there were genuine support from projects like N8VEM in building a DIP module to perform general audio DSP emulation with a hard SMT DSP or PLD, I would even lead that effort.

Hi! As I recall Per had a source for the OPL chips.

They are available but are scarce. Occasionally they pop up on eBay too.

If someone can come up with a DIP module with the capabilities you describe I would be happy to incorporate it. However, general audio DSP emulation is non-trivial and way outside my expertise.

Andrew Lynch

Hi! As I recall Per had a source for the OPL chips.

They are available but are scarce. Occasionally they pop up on eBay too.

If someone can come up with a DIP module with the capabilities you describe I would be happy to incorporate it. However, general audio DSP emulation is non-trivial and way outside my expertise.

Andrew Lynch

Andrew,

can you give me a list of the chips you are in need to move the project? YMF262s? I know a guy who might be able to clone this chip, here near my city... this would help? I think I have some defective boards (corrosion) with this YMF262.

Also, to rise up the 150$, if there are 10 people on it, 15$ to me would be fine!

thanks!

Lucas

Back