• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Toshiba T3200 Gas Plasma Display

SquallStrife

Experienced Member
I have a fabulous working Toshiba T3200 portable here, in nearly perfect condition. I've added a SCSI controller and HDD to replace the failing unit it arrived with, and now there's just one issue remaining.

The bright and crisp Orange Gas Plasma display has developed some vertical lines of "stuck on" pixels. I had it apart briefly and couldn't see anything wrong with the thing.

So I'm hoping that somebody out there has a busted T3200 that I could have the screen from?

I'm located in Brisbane, Australia.

Cheers.

Edit:

Obviously a T3200 is a big heavy thing, so preferably the seller could remove the panel and just post that? Getting the panel out is quite quick and easy to do, I can provide the steps if necessary! :)

Last edited:
You're right, it's probably a lot cheaper to pull the panel out and just mail that.

Would that be possible?
That's actually what I meant; as a matter of fact the panel is out of it at the moment but I don't exactly want to give it away and when you add shipping you'd probably be close to $80-$100, probably a little steep for ya. And then there's always the risk of it getting damaged in shipping...

It's actually a working system that I finally opened up a month or so to repair/replace the floppy drive and haven't gotten back to yet; I doubt I'd get much for it by the time you add shipping and I don't mind scrapping it for parts if it'll get another one going again.

That's actually what I meant; as a matter of fact the panel is out of it at the moment but I don't exactly want to give it away and when you add shipping you'd probably be close to $80-$100, probably a little steep for ya. And then there's always the risk of it getting damaged in shipping...

It's actually a working system that I finally opened up a month or so to repair/replace the floppy drive and haven't gotten back to yet; I doubt I'd get much for it by the time you add shipping and I don't mind scrapping it for parts if it'll get another one going again.

Thanks for the offer. What I might do is leave this thread here for a week or two. If there are no other offers, I'll get back to you.

I could probably stretch my wallet to $60, but it seems like you're after a bit more than that. Is there any gear that you are after? I have a modest collection of bits and pieces, I'm happy to rummage around for anything you have in mind.

I could probably stretch my wallet to $60, but it seems like you're after a bit more than that. Is there any gear that you are after? I have a modest collection of bits and pieces, I'm happy to rummage around for anything you have in mind.
No, sorry, I'm trying to get rid of stuff ;-) Anything else you need? How much memory's in yours?

In the meantime, since the panel's out anyway I'll see if I can get a more accurate idea of what the shipping would cost but yes, if I'm going to scrap it I would like to get a few $$s out of it.

Mine has the 1MB of memory. Both of the expansion slots are in use though, one contains a sound card, and the other contains a SCSI card.

Thanks for checking that out, I appreciate it. :)

Mine has the 1MB of memory. Both of the expansion slots are in use though, one contains a sound card, and the other contains a SCSI card.

Thanks for checking that out, I appreciate it. :)
Unlike my T3100 which uses normal DIMMs, my 3200 has 3MB additional memory on a board underneath the left part of the keyboard:

System.JPG ExpMem.JPG Screen.JPG

Here's mine
thm_Toshiba_T3200SX_ROMscrn.jpg

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/toshiba/T3200SX/

I also have a dead one of these, maybe a third, but I am in the east coast of the USA.

bd

...I also have a dead one of these, maybe a third, but I am in the east coast of the USA.

bd
Well, I'm in Canada, even worse from a shipping cost PoV AFAIK ;-)

Bill, if you can help our friend down under, please do; I'd rather see a dead one scrapped than a working one.

Meanwhile, I haven't had a chance to check shipping costs since I'd pretty well have to pack it as if I were actually shipping it; I'll hold off until I see if you two work something out.

mike

Here's mine
thm_Toshiba_T3200SX_ROMscrn.jpg

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/toshiba/T3200SX/

I also have a dead one of these, maybe a third, but I am in the east coast of the USA.

bd

Do you know if the SX variant has the same part number for the panel?

It should be MD400F720PD1.

If that's the case, then colour me interested. I agree that if one of these units needs to be scrapped, it should be a dead one. There can't be too many left that are in good working order these days!

Edit: I have a feeling they may not match:

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/products/notebooks/t3200sx/product.shtm

Mine is only a 4-shade panel, the specs here suggest the panel in the SX is 16-shade. :-/

http://www.toshiba-europe.com/bv/computers/products/notebooks/t3200/product.shtm

Last edited:
Bump. Any non-SX models in your collection, bill?

No. I have one maxed-out T3200SX and another non-functional SX system on display at my computer repair shop. I sold a non-functional 3100 at some point. I have a little vintage computer display of about 20 computers or so in a glass display case. I should post a pic, eh?

Bumping this. Anyone else able to help?

I guess the alternative is an EGA monitor, and just use it as a luggable desktop.

Back