• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1988 Tandy 1000 HX

Very nice looking system. I love the virgin back plates :) Wish that mine were! I've an HX and an EX (though the EX may be getting the axe pretty quickly - I need to thin the collection). Between them, I have 2 memory cards, 1 dial-up modem, and one back plate. This leaves the EX with 2 exposed bays... even if it ends up getting the axe, that fact alone still annoys me :)

Good luck with your system hunt!

Sorry I havent been online often, I got my email and facebook hacked, my mind was focusing on that more than anything. Luckily now its all sorted though :)

I am looking for a Tandy 1000 F8 complete key. Does anyone have any? I can paypal you 3$ + shipping to France if you are willing to sell. I will need a pic first to double check, but I think all 1000 seried had the same keys.

I cleaned up the old Mac again, looks better than when I cleaned it last time! (last time I realised I missed a lot of spots!)

I can't wait until next time I go to that second hand shop, they always have computers!

What are the makes I should look out for mostly? I guess Tandy and Mac? They seem to be the rarer expensive ones. I dont mind paying a bit of money, but if I ever decide to sell, I would want to make a profit,so I would normally pay 15 dollars for a PC about, but of course I would pay more for the Mac Lisa!

I am also looking for a DeskMate 2.0 floppy, since my Tandy didnt come with it when I bought it. I found it on the net, but I prefer having an original than transfering it to0 a blank floppy.

Jonathan

Sorry I havent been online often, I got my email and facebook hacked, my mind was focusing on that more than anything. Luckily now its all sorted though :)

I am looking for a Tandy 1000 F8 complete key. Does anyone have any? I can paypal you 3$ + shipping to France if you are willing to sell. I will need a pic first to double check, but I think all 1000 seried had the same keys.

I cleaned up the old Mac again, looks better than when I cleaned it last time! (last time I realised I missed a lot of spots!)

I can't wait until next time I go to that second hand shop, they always have computers!

What are the makes I should look out for mostly? I guess Tandy and Mac? They seem to be the rarer expensive ones. I dont mind paying a bit of money, but if I ever decide to sell, I would want to make a profit,so I would normally pay 15 dollars for a PC about, but of course I would pay more for the Mac Lisa!

I am also looking for a DeskMate 2.0 floppy, since my Tandy didnt come with it when I bought it. I found it on the net, but I prefer having an original than transfering it to0 a blank floppy.

Jonathan

If you find the Deskmate please copy the software and email it to me! I recieved my HX at a thrift shop, it looks like cheddar cheese and came with the CM-5 monitor. Your thread inspired me to drag it out of the closet ;). Does it require the mouse to run? I couldn't really play with this machine too much since I had no way of testing it, it does boot into DOS however.

Look at you - a vintage computer collector at only age 15! That's a nice looking HX there. I personally like units like this with everything built into the keyboard. The intelligence is inside plus you have a nice 3.5" floppy right at your fingertips. Strong enough to hold a monitor on top too. Very nice. I'm a throwback to the older times anyway though, starting my computer adventures on a Radio Shack Model 1 back in 1978 when I was 34 years old. Let's see, you were born in 1997. I think I have socks older than that! Just kidding - it's great to see young people like yourself take an interest in something most of us here are very fond of too, - old computers. I notice by your pictures you're going to need a longer computer desk pretty soon as the computer collecting keeps growing.
Welcome to the forum. You ought to put your location in your profile too - so people know what part of the world you're in.

Vint you think 15 is amazing? Wow. No comment.

Well, you just commented on it.:D

What are you implying about that? Are you saying that vintage computer enthusiasts at 15 are rare or that a 5 year old could have the same knowledge?

Well I started into all computers, vintage too about when I was 6, so 5 isn't too far off.

Me too, got my first computer when I was five and got an SE when I was seven.

Back to the topic, there is probably slim chances that you'll get the software from the OP. He hasn't been around for a while.

Me too, got my first computer when I was five and got an SE when I was seven.

Back to the topic, there is probably slim chances that you'll get the software from the OP. He hasn't been around for a while.

Worth a try right? I mean I'd be bringing a 1000 HX back to health.

I was born in 1997 too... Got into vintage computers when I was 10 or 11 years old. Got my first real vintage computer (older than 90's) last year.

@Maverick1978
"Don't think of running higher than DOS 3.2 on it, as you'll run into trouble."

Just noticed this comment, so I'm going to reply to it.

I had boot disks made up of 6.22, and they ran fine on my HX.

Used it primarily for QBasic stuff, .. and not DESKMATE of course.. but.. yeah. It worked.

~Paul

Also, TVDog or someone had Deskmate up, I had it running in DOSBOX, but I hadn't tested running it on my actual hardware.

I've got the files for it in a *.ZIP, and I can host and link it here.. but I don't know if anyone is going to have luck with it.

Even me.

I was referencing a Tandy 1000 FAQ I read on Oldskool.org. They don't recommend running anything higher than DOS v3.2 on a Tandy 1000TX or lower because of some undesirable behavior that can result. My reading, obviously, was that the HX would be included in this:

III.A.2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading DOS?
The advantages are pretty much common knowledge. Upgrading DOS can give you upper memory blocks (saving conventional memory), online help, task switching, Interlink (for transferring files between computers), and hard drive compression. Many people have upgraded successfully.

Here are the disadvantages, according to Tandy:

The early 1000's up to and including the 1000TX computer have problems formatting and reading floppy drives to their fullest capacity with any DOS higher than DOS 3.2. These formatting and reading problems show themselves as a 720K drive behaving as a 360K drive. The 1000's have also shown problems with hard drive FAT tables being scrambled or corrupted by DOS version higher than 3.2, thereby rendering the hard drive inoperable!

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

Last edited:
I was referencing a Tandy 1000 FAQ I read on Oldskool.org. They don't recommend running anything higher than DOS v3.2 on a Tandy 1000TX or lower because of some undesirable behavior that can result. My reading, obviously, was that the HX would be included in this:

Can anyone else weigh in on this?

DRIVPARM in CONFIG.SYS cures the floppy drive issue. I have never had an issue with FAT corruption with a hard drive in my SX with DOS 5-6.

DRIVPARM in CONFIG.SYS cures the floppy drive issue. I have never had an issue with FAT corruption with a hard drive in my SX with DOS 5-6.

PC DOS 7.0/2000 works fine on my original Tandy 1000, too.

But on a 1000HX, remember that you have Tandy MS-DOS 2.11 in ROM, which boots in 2 seconds!! And on a floppy-only system, DOS 2.11 is really all that you need -- unless you have some specific application which requires a higher version, then of course you can use a boot disk.

Hmm,I know this is a stale thread... but I recall reading somewhere that newer DOS versions (like 5 or 6) on the 1000HX would bork it's EEPROM? Hmm, i'll have to dig that thread up wherever I saw it... i've avoided booting off any of my other disks for fear of trashing the system. :) Tho again, not really needed.

Edit:
While trying to find where I saw about the EEPROM issue (can't find it so maybe i'm crazy), I found official Microsoft support docs regarding Tandy 1000HX support. :)

DOS5 in general: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/75078

And the Drivparm issue (formatting problems): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/80434

--Chris

Last edited:
Back